Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal Version 1 seems stuck

koenfucius
4: Newbie

Hello

Yesterday we had a power cut, and when things came back up again, some other device had grabbed the IP address of the Vodafone Sure Signal (VSS1). When I noticed this earlier today, I took the other device off the network, and rebooted both the router and the VSS1.

This restored the IP address situation: I have verified that the VSS1 has been given its old IP address (192.168.0.10) by the router and I can ping it OK, so the physical network connection is working fine.I can also obviously use the internet, since I am typing these words here... 🙂

I verified the necessary passthroughs in the router as well (they were exactly as before, so nothing has changed there).

The VSS1 just showed the steady power light, with no further activity. I then tried to reset the VSS1 as per the instructions here: http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Version-1-Sure-Signal-Troubleshooting/td-p/66809...

However, no matter how long I kept the reset button down, I never got to the state where all lights go solid. After half a minute or so, I then proceeded to unplug and replug the power lead - but again, no matter how long I waited, only the power light came on, with no movement in the other lights.

The last time I tried this, the power light started blinking, and this is still the state it is in right now - six hours after I started  out.

We've had this problem (with some other device ending up with the VSS1's IP address after a power cut) before, but every time a simple rebooting of the router and the VSS1 has been enough to restore normal operation. I have a feeling that this time I am missing something obvious, but I don't know what... 

Any help much appreciated!

Kind regards

Koenfucius

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Just to update. The steady top two lights situation persisted with no further progress.

A bit of further browsing through this forum revealed that some people ascribed similar problems to the power supply being at fault, and I thought perhaps unplugging the PSU (rather than just the cable from the unit) might help.

And hey presto - late yesterday evening normal operation had been restored. Was it the unplugging of the power supply? Was it the secret incantation I mumbled at the same time? Was it some black magic happening at Vodafone? We will never know...

View solution in original position

4 REPLIES 4

Landshark2007
6: Helper
6: Helper

This was exactly what mine was doing until a few minutes ago when it miraculously started working again. Points to a Vodafone issue but they will never admit it.

Wherever I lay my '@', that's my 'ome.

Well whaddaya know. Mine has also come back to life - although not quite back to full functioning, there was some blinking earlier, and now both the power and connectivity lights are on. Progress!

Just to update. The steady top two lights situation persisted with no further progress.

A bit of further browsing through this forum revealed that some people ascribed similar problems to the power supply being at fault, and I thought perhaps unplugging the PSU (rather than just the cable from the unit) might help.

And hey presto - late yesterday evening normal operation had been restored. Was it the unplugging of the power supply? Was it the secret incantation I mumbled at the same time? Was it some black magic happening at Vodafone? We will never know...

I find that muttering the old DOS program titles whilst facing North and placing a freshly butchered modem on the keyboard at moon-rise seems to help resurrect the SureSignal.

I did also suggest renaming the product line to "Uncertain Connection" would be more apt but it seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

Wherever I lay my '@', that's my 'ome.