Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal Works then Drops

joldknow
4: Newbie

PLEASE HELP - this thing is driving me nuts !!

My Suresignal works for a few hours, even a day sometimes and then just drops out leaving me with the red power light flashing and the first left hand light (internet?) solid Orange colour. If I switch off at the wall and then back on again, it does reconnect and start to work again for a few hours at least. Very frustrating and today is my 7th day so PLEASE help.

14 REPLIES 14

Gentlemen - I am VERY happy to report that my VSS now seems to be working fine :smileyvery-happy:

Having connected it directly to the Apple Airport Extreme router 3 or 4 days ago, it has not dropped out once.

I have a N150 Netgear WNR1000 v3 Plusnet Router.This is connected to the wall where the BT Fibre Box is. Connected to the Netgear Router I have an Apple Airport Extreme wireless Router (I got this as I was told that it had a much wider range and could broadacst my wifi signal further around my house). My Vodafone Sure Signal is now connected to the Apple Airport Extreme Router rather than to the Netgear. I have not made any changes to Ports or anything like that. I have not touched the settings of the Netgear or the Apple at all. My Broadband provider is PlusNet and I am on their Fibre package.

Hope this helps others sort out their issues in similar circumstances.

One final comment - It would be nice if these VSS devices could connect using wireless rather than having to have a cable to the Router. That way I could position the VSS in the middle of my house ensuring a good mobile reception all over the house rather than just in my office and upstairs. Maybe they will manufacture something like that in the future?  

Thanks for all of your help.

Cheers

Jonathan  

Oh Dear - it seems that I spoke too soon :Sad_face:

It has dropped out twice over the last 3 days.

Does anyone have any advice?

What is all this about opening a port on the router or something about ip addresses ?

Please help ......

Hi joldknow,

You can find more information on port forwarding here.

Thanks

Wayne

psychopomp1
5: Helper

joldknow, 

Don't waste your time port forwarding or putting the SS into DMZ mode...this is a design fault with the v3 Sure Signals (plug in type). I must have been through at least five v3 SS units now and EVERY ONE of them suffers from random disconnections...could be as much 5 each day to once every few days. Nothing wrong with my internet connection speed (18 meg down /1 meg up) or my pings (20 ms). But the good news is that these disconnections magically disappear when using a v2, there's plenty for sale on ebay. Unfortunately Vodafone won't admit there's an issue with v3 Sure Signals as the v3 unit tends to work some of the time which in VF's eyes means its fine :Sad_face:

Thanks Psychopomp1 - that sounds very interesting and I reckon you are Spot On. I've always suspected a hardware fault. I will raise this with our Business Account manager. Cheers .....