Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal Works then Drops

joldknow
4: Newbie

PLEASE HELP - this thing is driving me nuts !!

My Suresignal works for a few hours, even a day sometimes and then just drops out leaving me with the red power light flashing and the first left hand light (internet?) solid Orange colour. If I switch off at the wall and then back on again, it does reconnect and start to work again for a few hours at least. Very frustrating and today is my 7th day so PLEASE help.

14 REPLIES 14

joldknow

Hi Techincal Person (in anticipation of you hopefully getting back to me)

It dropped out again about half an hour ago and same thing - flashing Red Power and solid Orange Internet :Sad_face:

After reading other posts, I am assuming you will need the following info to assist with diagnosing my problem, so here it is:

PING =  15ms

Download Speed = 40.99 Mbps

Upload Speed = 7.42 Mbps

My IP Address = 212.159.47.176

IPV6 Address = ::ffff:d49f:2fb0

TRACE RESULTS:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]

Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Jonathan>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     3 ms     4 ms     3 ms  192.168.1.254

2    27 ms    25 ms   141 ms  lo0-central10.pcl-ag03.plus.net [195.166.128.184

]

3    25 ms    25 ms    26 ms  link-b-central10.pcl-gw02.plus.net [212.159.2.17

0]

4    27 ms    25 ms    24 ms  xe-10-2-0.pcl-cr02.plus.net [212.159.0.202]

5    25 ms    25 ms    25 ms  ae2.pcl-cr01.plus.net [195.166.129.6]

6    25 ms    24 ms    26 ms  ae1.ptw-cr01.plus.net [195.166.129.0]

7    28 ms    26 ms    27 ms  ldngw1.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.209]

8    27 ms    27 ms    27 ms  85.205.116.2

9     *        *        *     Request timed out.

10     *        *        *     Request timed out.

11     *        *        *     Request timed out.

12     *        *        *     Request timed out.

13     *        *        *     Request timed out.

14     *        *        *     Request timed out.

15     *        *        *     Request timed out.

16     *        *        *     Request timed out.

17     *        *        *     Request timed out.

18     *        *        *     Request timed out.

19     *        *        *     Request timed out.

20     *        *        *     Request timed out.

21     *        *        *     Request timed out.

22     *        *        *     Request timed out.

23     *        *        *     Request timed out.

24     *        *        *     Request timed out.

25     *        *        *     Request timed out.

26     *        *        *     Request timed out.

27     *        *        *     Request timed out.

28     *        *        *     Request timed out.

29     *        *        *     Request timed out.

30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

Me again - thought you might also need to know that my Broadband provider is PlusNet (Fibre) and I have a Netgear Router N150 WNR1000 V3

Please help :smileysad:

joldknow
Anybody there ???

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)

Hi,

The forum team try to get to new questions within 24 hours, so they should be with you soon.

From a glance over what you have posted, things look ok.

Is the device connecting and working fine, and then all of a sudden it drops off? Or does it not work at all?

Do you have other devices on the network that may be trying to create a VPN connection, and them tripping over each other?

Could the suresignal be overheating at all?

joldknow
Hi

Thanks for the response and sorry if I was too keen. I do understand the 24 hr response and will be more patient.

Yes - it works for a few hours then just drops off. Sometimes it reconnects itself but most times I have to switch off the power switch next to the socket and then back on again. If it is overheating it must be faulty as it is simply plugged into a standard wall socket in an open room as it is designed to be.

Not sure about other devices. There is an apple AirPort Extreme wireless router thing connected to the netgear router/hub.

I wonder if the sure signal should be connected to the Apple Airport rather than the Netgear?

grolschuk

Direct to the netgear is fine.

As it connects and works, that rules out the majority of questions and answers given here, as they tend to be the device not being albe to get through the router.

As long as the socket isn't right next to a radiator that is on full, you should be ok on that part.

You could try unplugging the AirPort for a bit (although this may not help due it to being an intemittant issue) but cannot think of why that would start to mess things up anyway.

Hopefully the team will be able to see if anything is being flagged on the device or connection for you.

OK - thanks Grolschuck.

I will wait for the offcial Tech support to respond.

Cheers

Hi joldknow,

grolschuk is spot on here.

If it does connect but then drops, it would suggest that there is something interrupting the connection.

This is normally on the broadband setup side of things.

We have seen issues with the airport extreme in the past and I’d take a look at this post for more information on this.

James

Thanks for your response and for providing the link James.

I'm not sure that I fully understand the content of the Solution on the link. The poster mentions a Time Capsule and I'm not certain what that is or if it is similar to my Airport Extreme Router. Anyway, about 2 hours ago I disconnected my VSS from the original Netgear Modem Hub and I connected it to the Apple Airport Extreme wireless router. Instead. It took the usual 10 minutes to connect and settle down but so far so good !

I will give it 24 hours and keep my fingers crossed. I will report back either way.

Cheers

Jonathan