Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal & Sky Broadband

bds
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

My Sure signal isn't working, there is just the power light on. Vodafone gave me a long list of ports & said Sky will open them but Sky won't! They just say "we don't support port opening" whatever that means! Can anyone help?

15 REPLIES 15

Still nothing, the router is a Sagem but it doesn't appear to have a model number on it.

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi bds,

What lights, if any, are showing on your Sure Signal?

Can you make sure you’ve got the right ports forwarded?

Please see the following for a list of IP addresses and port numbers that need to be forwarded to your Sure Signal's internal IP address.

For instructions on how to do this, we recommend you contact your ISP or Router Manufacturer, or refer to the default guide for your particular make and model, over at http://portforward.com.

Destination IP Addresses:
212.183.131.128/26

Ports and Protocols:
Port 50 - TCP/IP
Port 4500 - UDP
Port 500 - UDP
Port 123 - UDP

Port 8 - TCP/IP

Port 1723 (BT customers only) - TCP/UDP

Please note that in the above list of IP addresses, the notation "212.183.131.128/26" means the complete range of IP addresses between 212.183.131.128 and 212.183.131.191

Your router also needs to assign the Sure Signal with a DNS (Domain Name Server) address via DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol).

If this doesn’t help, the next thing I’d suggest is to try a different router.

Let me know how you go on.

Cheers,

Andrew

Sorry Andrew you may as well be talking a foreign language. A previous Vodafone rep told me to contact Sky who told me in no uncertain terms they are not interested in helping hence I am on here.

I have no idea what port forwarding is & I am not technically capable of sorting it which is why I asked Vodafone to help.

It appears Sure Signal will not work with lots of Sky customers. I think Vodafone should make this clear when selling Sure Signal.

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi bds,

Apologies if Andrew's post was a little techy.

ISP stands for Internet Service Provider. In your case, this is Sky. You can ask them to set up the port forwarding for you. As your provider this is a service they should offer.

If Sky are trying to charge you for the port forwarding, you can use portforward.com to search for the instructions on how to do this yourself. you'll need to search for your router on the website to find the right instructions. :Smiling:

We don't currently have any compatibility issues with Sky and Sure Signal at present so you will be able to use the Sure Signal once we find out what is causing your individual problem. 

Cheers, Ben

Sky WILL NOT set up port forwarding, period.

Vodafone DO have issues with Sky BB & Sure Signal, a quick Google search "sure signal & sky broadband" proves it.

Portforward.com may as well be in Dutch, would you know what ratio master cylinder to use with 34mm titanium vented pistons? No? Well I don't know what the hell port forwarding is.

Vodafone have a problem wiyh Sky BB & no-one seems willing to take it on.

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi bds,

There is no known issue with the Sure Signal service and Sky's broadband service. There was something some time ago which was picked up and has long since been resolved, though. This may be what you've been seeing when you've searched online.

Port forwarding is usually automatic. We understand that it's not something everyone would know about, so we only go down the route of advising to check it when the basic checks have failed.

If the ISP provided the router, they would usually have the directions on how to set this up. If not, I'd check the manufacturer's own site. We simply don't have the details for all the routers out there to hand.

Dave