Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal & Virgin Media

loadsofmoney101
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I get a really lousy reception even with Sure Signal. Vodafone tells me I need to check with Virgin Media (my broadband supplier) that my 'latency' is less than 200. What is 'latency' and why does it matter? Thanks, N

6 REPLIES 6

burble
4: Newbie

Latency is basically the time it takes data to get from point A to point B.  In this case Vodafone are referring to how long it would take data to get from your home to their data centre.

It matters because if the latency is too high you'd either find the Sure Signal doesn't work (they frequently don't anyway, but that's another story) or you'd get delays in the voice transmission.

If you're on broadband of some description then the latency will be less than 200ms, I'd expect no more than 50-60ms really.

I have the exact same issue on Virgin. Sure signal was working fine for a year while on O2, then moved to Virgin and basically no one can hear me but I can hear them perfectly.

My speedtests always show 50mbs download 4.8mbs upload and a latency of less than 20ms.

This is very frustrating as my sure signal is now unusable!

OK. So trying this again as Matt closed my new thread on this.

I am trying to try and get to the bottom of my call quality issue I have had for six weeks since I have moved to Virgin 50mb cable broadband.

When using VSS I can hear other people perfectly but they can't hear me. I sound very faint and fuzzy. This exact setup worked fine for a year while I was on O2 broadband but not since moving to Virgin.

When using speedtest.net I have never had a result of less than 48mb/s download and 4.6mb/s upload. Worst latency I have had is 14ms (see image below showing results).

speedtest_results.png

Initially to get the VSS working with Virgin I had to open up the VSS standard ports and had to unregister and re-register the box.

In the "Sure Signal - Call Audio Quality Issues" thread (http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Sure-Signal-Call-Audio-Quality-Issues/m-p/496064...) it does state at the top that this issue does affect customers using a Virgin Media Cable connection however no specific resolution is listed.

My serial number is 21227861370. I am really hoping someone can help

Thanks,

TD

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi everyone

Please could you let us know which software your hub is currently using, this has been requested by our investigating team and we hope to have a resolution as soon as we can.

Many Thanks

DaveCD

eForum Team

I have exactly the same problem.

speeds a little lower but should be ok.

Drops in and out during day

sometinmes fine sometimes can here but not be heard

did u get a solution?

Retired-PaulE
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi mbs001,

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

Paul