Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal and Netgear DG834N settings

sandybeach1212
1: Seeker

Got Sure SIgnal working on Netgear DG834N after several days of experimentation so though others may find this userful (and this may not be correct but it does work ...!):

Find your MAC address for he sure signal unit (on the box itself),

Advanced > LAN IP Setup

Add the MAC address and set up an IP address (anything, but make it outside your normal number of attached devices for example 192.168.0.100)

Security > Services

Add the following (doesn't matter what you name them, I named them TCP-50 etc.)

TCP 50

UDP 4500

UDP 123

TCP 8

TCP/UDP 1723

TCP 123

Security > Firewall rules

Add each of these in turn, use the IP address you set up earlier in Send To LAN Server, select WAN users ANY (you can restrict these later) and Log Never

TCP 50 (this service you set up earlier)

TCP 8 (this service you set up earlier)

UDP 4500 (this service you set up earlier)

UDP 123 (this service you set up earlier)

TCP/UDP 1723 (this service you set up earlier)

TCP 123 (this service you set up earlier)

VPN-IPSEC (this service is already defined in the list)

DNS (this service is already defined in the list) - not in the list of forwarding needed but I added it anyway

VPN-PPTP (this service is already defined in the list)

VPN-L2TP (this service is already defined in the list) - not sure you need this one, I added it anyway

Advanced > uPnP

Turn uPnP on if not already set

Advertisement Period: 30

Advertisement Time To Live: 12 (I had to change this - this seemed to get things working - SO IMPORTANT!)

Note I didnt change the MTU size, this is 1492 as I'm on PPPoE

And like I said this may not be the correct setup but ... it works 😉

Hope this helps

1 REPLY 1

PhilipR
1: Seeker
I had a few days of playing with this router to make it work.
I reserved an IP address for the Sure Signal, based on its MAC address in the 'Advanced' part of the router menu in 'LAN IP' setup allocating 192.168.0.26 (any number between 2 and 254 would do but I would suggest a number over 20).
Again in 'Advanced settings' I went to 'LAN IP setup' and checked the tick box 'default DMZ' server and allocated this to the same IP address of 192.168.0.26.
This places the sure signal unit outside of all firewall defences and apparently removes all the port forwarding issues.

PLEASE NOTE my understanding of Networking is at a basic level and I working on the premise that this method will only leave the sure signal open to attach and the assumption (assumption being the mother of all foul ups) that the is nothing attack within the sure signal. I did this because it was a choice of more hours
of messing with the settings or having it work albeit with a possible risk to the unit. But being able to get on with more important/enjoyable pursuits.

I hope that is helpful.
Philip