Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal behind Cisco router

Mark734
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello

We have installed our new Sure Signal but we have been unable to get it working. The router dosent support UPNP but we have configured port forwarding for the incoming conections as follows:

123 udp

500 udp

4500 udp

Are there any other incoming ports required.

Nothing is blocked out going

Thanks

Mark

5 REPLIES 5

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Mark734 Check our port-forwarding page to view which ports you'll need to ensure are open for your Vodafone Sure Signal to work. 

gsmsecure
12: Established
12: Established

Don't worry about UPNP, the SureSignal it NOT that sophisticated... trust me!!

After you have checked the port forwarding and allowed VPN Pass-Through, something Vodafone Tech still continue to fail to admit and advise to check (I think they are too embarrassed to go there) is that the MTU setting on your router needs to be set to 1500.

If you can't set the MTU, it will never work yet Vodafone have never suggested this and refuse to admit a design flaw which I told them about 3 years ago and fix it via an update.

So if it is the case that it is the MTU 1500 setting and cannot be set on your router, then I am afraid you need a new router that allows you to set it as many 'supplied routers' are fixed and cannot be changed and Vodafone in their infinite wisdom have made a device with Alcatel that is very much incompatible with many Fibre Broadband connections but still choose to blame "ISP incompatibility" instead of their own flawed product!!.

It also srikes me as amazing that none of the trouble shooting pages has any mention of MTU and VPN pass-through and continue to waste many hours of hair pulling frustration for their customers.

It is important to report all failed SureSignal V3 using the links below to:

BBC's Watchdog: https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

Trading Standards: Call them on 0345 4 040506

Vodafone CEO: http://www.ceoemail.com -  (Search Vodafone UK)

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Mark734 Were you able to get your Vodafone Sure Signal working from the information I gave?

Yes thanks its working now we did have the router setup correctly already we really did just have to wait 24-hour for it to come on line. Can I suggest an improvement to Kay’s posting regarding port forwarding. At the moment you have lumped all the port numbers and destination IP in the same list. There is no distinction as to whether they are required for inbound traffic or outbound which I believe would confuse a lot of people. As I expect you know most router allow all outbound connections by default so as in my example we are only interested in the configuration for inbound connections.

In Kay’s posting she says the following  “Please see the following for a list of port numbers and IP addresses that need to be forwarded to your Sure Signal's internal IP address ” Well included in that list is the Public IP addresses of the Vodafone equipment in your data centre so these very much won’t be forwarded to the VSS. This would only apply if configuring a firewall or other security appliance and not a simple router.

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Mark734 Brilliant to hear! Thanks for letting us know :Smiling: 

I'll pass this information on so we can look into improving our instructions. 

Thanks for feeding this back to us.