Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal broken again

plumes
4: Newbie

After several weeks of configuration "issues" my Sure Signal worked for several weeks.  There were issues including dropped calls and overheating.  Now it seems to be not working again.

The red light is on, the next light flashes and the other two are off.

£100 for something to make the phone I pay a large monthly fee for is bad enough but can the Sure Signal really be so unreliable or have I just been sold a dodgy one?  What's the exchange process?

Is there no phone number I can call or do I have to rely on these forums?

Many thanks

Stephen

22 REPLIES 22

Retired-Matt_Vo
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi 

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

Matt

Speed test: Download 2.35MB

Ping: 49ms, jitter 1ms, grade B*

External IP: 82.70.99.86

Traceroute:

traceroute to 212.183.133.177 (212.183.133.177), 64 hops max, 72 byte packets

1  192.168.111.1 (192.168.111.1)  0.633 ms  0.432 ms  0.392 ms

2  losubs.subs.dsl7.wh-man.zen.net.uk (62.3.83.20)  39.022 ms  39.393 ms  37.439 ms

3  ae1-131.cr2.wh-man.zen.net.uk (62.3.86.53)  37.881 ms  39.039 ms  39.023 ms

4  ge-2-0-0-0.cr1.wh-man.zen.net.uk (62.3.80.49)  39.833 ms  40.150 ms  38.399 ms

5  ge-3-0-0-0.cr2.th-lon.zen.net.uk (62.3.80.45)  48.013 ms  46.570 ms  46.141 ms

6  lndgw2.arcor-ip.net (195.66.224.124)  48.966 ms  48.065 ms  47.697 ms

7  85.205.116.14 (85.205.116.14)  46.854 ms  47.518 ms  46.506 ms

8  * * *

9  * * *

10  * * *

11  * * *

12  * * *

13  * * *

14  * * *

15  * * *

16  * * *

17  * * *

18  * * *

Serial number: 40132136157

Nothing has changed in terms of my set up.  It's just stopped working.  Again.

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi plumes,

I can see it’s not connected to the sever since 14 September so I’ve re-synced it for you again today.

As this keeps happening it would suggest a setup issue that’s stopping the connection form happening.

I can see you’ve posted your latest download speed but can you also let me know your upload speed?

Other than this it’s hard to say what the problem is although we’ve seen instances of issues with Zen in the past.

James

Hi James

Nothing has changed with my set up since I first, finally, got the device working.  Are you suggesting that ZEN have done something to cause these issues?

Download speed is .37.

It's not booted up again and connected.  Just the red light on now.

Can you tell me how long I've actually been able to use my device for phone calls?  You will notice, depending on the level of detail that the call is cut off by the device shutting down.

Many thanks

Stephen

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Stephen,

Your upload speed is on the lower limit of what the Sure Signal needs to keep an open connection to our servers.

I can’t see how long you’ve spent on calls this month; we can’t see the call duration on our systems.

It may be that Zen has been performing maintenance in the background that’s affected your connection.

As this is an intermittent issue, we need to try to determine where the root cause lies.

Can you try the Sure Signal on a different internet connection (preferably a different ISP as well), e.g. that of a friend or family member?

If, once the set up is complete, the unit works in this other location, it would suggest that there’s something in your home set up that’s affecting its ability to keep a stable connection with our servers.

Let me know how you go on.

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew

The speed is no different from when I first got the device up and running after the original wrangling so whilst I appreciate it is on the lower limits it did work.  I now get only the red light where previously there were other combinations of lights depending on if the internet speed dropped.

There is clearly an issue with the device and I see two ways forward.

1)  Try a replace

2)  Obtain a refund and return the device

If you could see the call records you would see that every time the device has been used it has dropped call which is why I think it may be faulty.

Your suggestion that I trapse around to someone else's connection is beyond absurd given that this is £100 I have spent to make your network do what it used to do anyway.  

The idea that Zen have, for several weeks, been doing some maintenance is also pretty remote.

Had I known that technical support would involve sharing my details in a public forum I wouldn't have bothered buying the Sure Signal in the first place.  Instead it may be more sensible for me to pursue Vodafone to end my contract early on the grounds that they cannot provide me a reasonable service at my address despite having previously done so.

Can you let me know how I get an RMA issued to I can return the device for a refund or exchange?

Many thanks

Stephen

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Stephen,

We’ll happily arrange for a repair of the Sure Signal if we can determine it’s definitely faulty.

Testing it on a different internet connection, preferably with a different ISP, will allow us to see if this is the case.

If you don’t have the option to do this, we can dig a little deeper but will need to speak with you.

See how to get in touch with us here.

Cheers,

Andrew

You want to repair something I have owned for two months and actively used for a maximum of about an hour?  

The depths of customer service have just been lowered further then ever before.

I've spent several hours on these public forums trying to get the thing working and frankly it's all a bit much.

Can you tell me the address I need to send the Sure Signal back to for a refund please? 

Many thanks

Stephen

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi plumes,

We can't accept the Sure Signal back if it's more than 7 days since you got it.

Please use the repair scenario so we can get it fixed/replaced.

Cheers,

LeeH