Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal - can't register 2nd hand box

Pugwash69
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I've made attempts to register a second-hand suresignal v3 device on my account in the few days. The web site page was giving an error, so I used the online chat. The first time, I was told the device had to be de-registered by the previous owner. The seller on ebay told me they thought they had already done this, and they have since phoned VodaFone twice trying to sort this out. I've since asked VodaFone try to register it on my account again and was assured I didn't have to do anything else and it would all be sorted. I contacted them again a couple of days later and was told they would re-sync something with my account and I should turn the device off for 20 minutes and "hard reset" my phones by removing and re-insterting the sim cards. Not sure why, but I did this to no avail. 

The Sure Signal page on my account is working again now, but there's no device listed against it. I tried to register it myself but get this error: "We're working hard to fix the issue, so please try again later.: 500, 1013 - [2h1]"

I've tried again later several times now. What am I waiting for exactly?

Serial: 40130449842 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Pugwash69 You'll need to get in touch with the original owner of the Vodafone Sure Signal, so they're able to de-register the device through their online My Vodafone account. 

If they're no longer a Vodafone customer, they'll need to contact our Live Chat team.

You won't be able to register the device until the original owner has deregistered it.

View solution in original position

12 REPLIES 12

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

Hopefully the Vodafone Tech Team here can help. 

Although my thoughts are it's still not properly de registered from the first owner. 

If this isn't resolved then if this was my situation I'd be contemplating sending the 2nd hand one back for a Refund and buy a new one. 

Hope all goes ok for you. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @Pugwash69

You need to go back to the ebay seller and ask the seller to log onto My Vodafone online account and deregister the device, this is something the seller shold have done before selling on the device.

If the seller is not the original owner with the device registered to an account, you will never be able to register the device to your account.

It may be a better option to return the device and ask for your money back.  

Thanks for reading and your suggestions. I'm also of the opinion that it hasn't been de-registered too. I did specifically ask the VodaFone person if this was sorted on a previous online chat session so I'm not sure why they didn't tell me there was a problem. I'll see if the seller has any more luck with this.

Like I said, the web page for managing the Sure Signal was not working for about 4 or 5 days so it has been extra tedious talking to staff online at 20 minutes or more each time.

I'm relunctant to return the device, even though they have offered to accept it back, because it was cheaper than new, appears to power and light up and is just this one simple step away from working.

BandOfBrothers

You're Welcome. 

I'm not sure about Live Chat and their advice. 

They would or should only engage with the original owner as to protect its security. 

Appreciate what your saying about the cost of a new Sure Signsl but at least then it should work and you'll have a full 24 Month Manufacturing Warranty. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Pugwash69 Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread, then post back your results if you’re not directed to an existing thread.

Please also provide your Sure Signal serial number, so that we can take a closer look. 

Thanks for responding, but the thread you have pointed me at doesn't cover the issue. I posted my serial number in my first post. This is it again:

I tried a couple of times to sort this out by online chat but I was told it was sorted. Since the web site has started working again I've tried to register the Sure Signal multiple times online but always get the vague "Something went wrong" message. The box simply will not register to my account.

I've been in touch with the previous owner, who has also been trying to de-register the device. I believe he's been trying to do this through his online account too. It would be really good if you could contact the previous owner yourself and verify that he sold it?

AnnS

Hi @Pugwash69

Due to data protection reasons, Vodafone cannot contact the seller.  They would be in serious breech of data protection laws for accessing account information without permission.

Until the device has been deregistered from the account where the Sure Signal is registered, you have no chance of registering to your account.  

Not sure why you are tolerating this nonsense from the seller.  You want your money back in your account.  The seller has taken your money for a device which cannot be registered.  

I'm tolerating the seller because they have already offered a refund if I want it. The point is, I do want the device. The seller has probably had similar issues to me in getting action from Vodafone. 

I'm frustrated that each time I've contacted Vodafone by online chat, I've been assured it's all sorted and I need do no more. Likewise the web page error message suggests there's some issue with the web site that they are working on, much like when the whole sure signal page went missing last week? I've also been told that my account was being re-syncronised, that I should uplug the device for 20 minutes and take my sim card out of my handset and all other sorts of nonsense. 

If Vodafone had offered me a free device, to ensure I was getting a signal in a blackspot, I'd have been over the moon. I did look into this, as I pointed out I was using my own broadband and STILL they would be taking the minutes and sms count off my contract. A staff member at Vodafone suggested I should look on ebay for a 2nd hand device, but they didn't tell me this was so complicated! 

Forgive me if this seems simplistic, but why is it a breach of the data protection act to contact one of your own customers using the contact information they gave you? I have customers who give me their phone numbers and why else would I know it, unless I needed to call it?

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Pugwash69 You'll need to get in touch with the original owner of the Vodafone Sure Signal, so they're able to de-register the device through their online My Vodafone account. 

If they're no longer a Vodafone customer, they'll need to contact our Live Chat team.

You won't be able to register the device until the original owner has deregistered it.