Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal doesn't work with 4G phones

pobpob
4: Newbie

I  found out that SS does not automatically see a device (iphone on my case) if it is configured to the default state of Mobile Data/4G.    My older iPhone would seamlessly log on to the SS, but my newer 4G capable phone wont.  I guess this has happened now because my rural area is now just becoming a 4G area (1 bar at best) and so my phone goes onto 4G, and logs off the SS - So now I have to manually switch 4G off to get it to log on to the SS.   Is this right?  This is silly and negates the point of having SS... or more likely I'll just run my phone on 3G so not to miss calls when I am at home.  

Has anyone got a 4g phone to work with SureSignal?  Do phones definitely not auto-switch between a weak 4G signal and Sure Signal's 3G signal?

5 REPLIES 5

acdeag
4: Newbie

What model of iPhone is the new one?

The newer ones can use wifi calling, you wouldn't need the Sure Signal. Go to Settings, Phone, Wifi Calling and see if you can switch it on, if you can't then call VF. You can then turn off the SS.

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi,

I'm sure your aware The Sure Signal pushes out a 3G signal. 

So if your phone is latching to 4G as it's thinking it's a stronger connection it will not possibly see the 3G the SS is pushing out as its seeing it as a weaker signal.

It is a known troubleshooting tip to turn off 4G when wanting to connect to the SS which you are currently doing. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

@BandOfBrothers wrote:

Hi,

I'm sure your aware The Sure Signal pushes out a 3G signal. 

So if your phone is latching to 4G as it's thinking it's a stronger connection it will not possibly see the 3G the SS is pushing out as its seeing it as a weaker signal.

It is a known troubleshooting tip to turn off 4G when wanting to connect to the SS which you are currently doing. 

Yes.. this is what I explained is the case.  But "turn off 4G when you enter your house" is hardly a business grade solution. It is klunky workaround, especially as I sitting in my lounge with a phone with 4G on and 5 bars of 3G from my SS - but any moment it will get a sniff of a very weak 4G signal and drop to one bar, or no service - hardly a way to be reliable.

I think I have the same problem as the signal in the area has improved a lot but I haven't noticed. However, this only came to light when the old SS V3 broke and we got a new SS V3. Maybe we were not connecting to the old box and didn't notice. I couldn't be doing with manually changing the settings each time I got home.

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@macker6464 - I’ve replied to your other post