cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal - have I bought a Lemon for the business?

pscanlon01
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi I just recently bought two Sure Signal boosters - one for Home and one for the business where I have unfortunately poor signals. I had them delivered to my home and have to say, it took quite some persistence to get the home signal working on my home broadband, howver eventually work it did and it certainly gives a graet signal around the house.

My issue is that in getting the VSS to work at home, I scoured the forums to get tips on teasing this little box of tricks into life, and gathered in the process a that the VSS will not work wityh a non UK based ISP - Here lies my question and concern - Our business infrastructure is provided by our Global organisation with main ISP outlets in Belgium and the US - we use an ASA router box to provide a secure tunnel for our corporate applications, file stores etc and essentially our Internet access - hence its highly probable that it wont be a UK external IP address. Do Vodafone cater for this? can we apply for our External addresses to be white listed so we can boost the signal in our UK office?

Can someone give me an indication before I start working with our infrastructure teams to get the box accepted on our network - we cant be the only business that faces this issue?

thanks in anticipation

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK - just to close the loop on this one - its NOT A LEMON!

I worked with our internal infrastructure team to create a VLAN and DHCP to break out of the Network via the UK IP address. SS3 picked up the address pretty quickly and connected to the mother ship. Full network connectivity now in the the office up from 0 - 1 bar to full bars - so far so good - a practical product that addresses a real issue in terms of potential lost business due to low signal strength.

Thanks to the community and support staff for your help - appreciated.

View solution in original position

8 REPLIES 8

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

I have no idea what the answer to your question is, but the eforum tech team are your best bet to get to the right techie people inside Vodafone who can help you.

My only contribution is to ask if you have an analogue phone life for a fax machine that you can enable with ADSL to use exclusively with the Sure Signal?

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)

I would say not.

But your VPN router must be connected to a UK ISP to get the internet to connect back to head office... Unless it is a totally secure point to point network, and then you would be part of the global network.

If it is a uk connection then plugging the SS into the router may work, but it may not... Depends on the exact configuration of the network

It would probably be quicker, cheaper and easier to find an ISP with devices that work with a suresignal and have a BT line installed solely for use with the device...

I am looking to avoid the expense and additional monthly charges of an additional ADSL link just to boost the cell phone signal for the office - kind of defeats the purpose when there is an existing internet connection - agreed it would be quiker and easier but not cheaper.

On the forums they talk of a "white list" for IP addresses, which is I assume the mechanism to stop the VSS being used abroad - if Vodafone allow the IP to be listed, in theory we should be good to go.

I will explore the avenue of breaking out of the ASA box as well, though I think I am limited in that there are no free ports on the box and our IT security don't like to break out of our secure network.

If one of Vodafone techs could give me steer on the white list and whats possible  - it would be appreciated otherwise its looking bleak for the box of tricks :Sad_face:

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi pscanlon01,

You've hit the nail on the head! It has to be an approved IP to prevent unauthorisaed usage overseas.

We can request to see if your IP can be whitelisted if you'd like to let us know what it is? If you'd rather not post it publically, I've sent instructions on how to reach my team here. :Laughing_Face:

Cheers, Ben

Hi Ben - thanks for the response.

Kudos to Grolshuk - he did push me down a route on breaking out one of the ports from our ASA box and using the UK public IP address that the box uses to create the tunnel to our Global network.

I spoke to our LAN technician and he is helping me to create a VLAN and breakout point so all being well we should be able to get connected by a UK registered IP address - thanks Grolshuk for the nudge!

Ben - I will keep the details on file in case we hit a wall on the breakout - no point creating an exception, if we can go direct out in the UK - may help with traffic speed as well.

Will keep the thread open and report back. Good experience with the Forum so far - responsive - its appreciated Thanks!

grolschuk

No worries, am glad your IT guys are ok with the thought of making a new part of the network.

It will need a DHCP server on there to issue the IP settings to the suresignal, as this cannot be done manually, so something to keep in mind for the new vlan if things seem not to work.

Good point - yes I will get them on it!

OK - just to close the loop on this one - its NOT A LEMON!

I worked with our internal infrastructure team to create a VLAN and DHCP to break out of the Network via the UK IP address. SS3 picked up the address pretty quickly and connected to the mother ship. Full network connectivity now in the the office up from 0 - 1 bar to full bars - so far so good - a practical product that addresses a real issue in terms of potential lost business due to low signal strength.

Thanks to the community and support staff for your help - appreciated.