Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal not transmitting a 3G signal

Petervdb
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi 

I need some help with my Sure Signal.  It is about a month since we got it and it has been working well up to last night.  Last night I noticed none of our phones had signal.  I forced them onto 3G and still nothing, even though that usually worked in the past.  

I reset the phones.  Not working.

I reset the Sure signal.  No change.  In fact I have no confidence that the reset actually did anything.  The instructions elsewhere on this forum state press reset for 5 seconds and then a reset will occur and could take from 20 mins to 6 hours.  Each time it is less than 5 mins - looks more like an off/on activity rather than a reset.  Anyway - still no joy.

I work for home and the coverage at home is really bad to useless, so I cannot phone 191 to have it resolved.  

What else can I do?

regards

Peter

31 REPLIES 31

So still not getting incoming calls to my mobiles while it is on the SureSignal.

Can someone please have a look or tell me what resets that I can do to speed up resolution?

regards

Peter

Sorry for the late reply, I have clients with 'down' Sure Signals and it is becoming a headache.

There are two reasons in my experience for Sure Signals giving problems. With the first generation SS units, the Power Supply would not give a full current charge and as such would either drop service all together or would simply end up in a permanent start-up mode. 

The second is to do with bandwidth. This is amuch harder issue to address as you are dealing with smoke and mirrors once you leave your home. BT Infinity works two ways for the "last mile". Cabinet-based users pretty much get what they had with the original copper-based broadband, however, if you have fibre coming to the premises, things get very much harder to identify. 

Assuming you are on copper between you and the cabinet, I will go on.

Over night several things happen that can cause the 'apparent' speed and the 'real' speed to be poles apart. I have first hand experience of this whereby in the daytime I will get over 30Mbps down and around 10Mbps up, but over night the download speed drops to around 4Mbps. Now BT's internal test program shows that there is no problem, but external testers such as Ookla's Speedtest show significantly different speeds - around 90% different to be exact. 

SS devices need around 1Mbps minimum to operate. However, just because your speed is good, does not mean that this is what is being available in server land (as you know). The C21 network (BT's fibre network) is currently being rolled out nationally and this is going to place some very high bandwidth consumers on limited pipes between the exchange and the main backbone. Trace route data does not take this into account, but you only need to have a the equivalent of a bandwidth brown out which lasts a few seconds for the SS to lose its VPN pipe and have to retrain. This will be seen at Vodafone as a restart, not necessarily a reset. If the attempted retry cannot be completed for whatever reason, the SS goes into what I call a 'panic' mode and simply stops trying to restart the VPN pipe. 

The C20 network (BT's copper system) is still hugley over-subscribed in some places and my initial thought when I read your original post is that the exchange is running 'hot' which would account for adegradtion in service. Getting that verified is almost impossible as no one in Openreach would make that assertion publicly. 

My advice is to run speedtest over the weekend and see what you are getting at night. Try running the test from her: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/download.html and see what you get in terms of results. Let me know how you get on.

Wherever I lay my '@', that's my 'ome.