Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal not working - no lights

cognetic
4: Newbie

Since spring 2015 when we upgraded our broadband to fibre, we've not had a working suresignal. The unit has actually been replaced and a new one installed, with the same results. It attempts to connect and then it stops working altogether with no lights on.

I rest the router to see if there was a problem with that. Lo and behold after a few hours it started working again and I had full coverage for a day. After that, it stopped again and the first white light was pulsing as if it was trying to update itself. After sometime, all the lights went out.

If I press the reset button, the power light comes back on and it tries to reconnect before stopping again after some time (all lights out).

Flattening the router made it work. Nothing at all was changed in the meantime.

How can it just stop working again????

Tracert and suresignal details below.

Paul

What light sequence you're seeing:           No lights

Your external IP address from here: 80.85.217.168

Your Sure Signal serial number: 42151641547

The results of a traceroute.

traceroute.jpg

21 REPLIES 21

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@cognetic

What is your MTU set as on your router? (This needs to be 1500)

It's set to 1492 - this is the maximum it allows.

@wayne could it be my router (Asus RT-12NE) is not compatible?

router.jpg

@cognetic

If the MTU can't be set at 1500, this would mean that the router isn't compatible.

Can you tell me how this works? I reset the router again last week and hey presto it worked for a day or so before it failed again.

@cognetic

The MTU is dictated by the type of line you’re using (in this case PPPoE) and has nothing to do with your router. Sorry about that.

Setting the MTU to 1500 is the preferred option.

Have you opened all the relevant ports on your router?

Manually configure your router to allow port-forwarding.
In most cases, routers support a system called Universal Plug-n-Play (UPnP), which sets up port-forwarding for you automatically. If you’ve got a complicated network setup, or a complex router, you may need to enter these settings manually.

Please see the following for a list of port numbers and IP addresses that need to be forwarded to your Sure Signal's internal IP address. For instructions on how to do this, we recommend you contact your ISP or Router Manufacturer, or refer to the default guide for your particular make and model, over at http://portforward.com.

Ports and Protocols:

• 8 – TCP/UDP                 (All routers)
  • 50 – TCP/UDP               (All routers)
  • 53 – TCP/UDP               (Virgin Super Hubs)
  • 67 – UDP                      (Virgin Super Hubs)                                                    
  • 68 – UDP                      (Virgin Super Hubs)                                        
  • 123 – UDP                    (All routers)     
  • 500 – UDP                    (All routers)     
  • 1723 – TCP/UDP           (BT Home Hubs)          
  • 4500 – UDP                   (All routers)     
  • 33434 – 33445 – UDP    (Virgin Super Hubs)

Destination IP Addresses:

Thank you Wayne. I have a very up to date Asus RT-N12E which is a little complicated to set up. However, I have now added the port numbers again, as per the image - does this look right?

Let's see what happens...

Paul

Carly
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@cognetic

Everything looks fine from your attachment. Let us know how you get on with it.

No it's not working. Currnt status is red light on and first white light (globe) pulsing.

Paul