Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal not working with Sky Broadband

ghec123
4: Newbie

Hello.

My phone cannot get a signal at home as Vodaphone told me it would. I have now got a sure signal box but it wont connect through my sky internet- please can you help?

Kind regards,

Gemma

12 REPLIES 12

Nabs
17: Community Champion

Hi Gemma,

Have you tried following the steps in the Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread.

If you are still experiencing the issue having completed these steps, post the template with your answers here and the team can look into this further.

Nabs

ghec123

Hi Nabs,

I'm sorry I don't know what you mean by the template but I have completed all the check for VSS version 3 and still have had no joy.

Our lights are on and our signal on our phones read full signal on H. However, as soon as the phone is in use it 'drops call' or the signal is so bad that you can barely hear the person on the end or it will just drop the call mid conversation. I have heard that VSS may not be compatible with sky-is this true?

Kind regards,

Gemma

Nabs

Ah ok, if all your lights are showing as expected you won't have to got to the template.

If you can complete the following and post them back here:

If the symptoms continue please add the following details to this thread:

Internet Test
Your speed test results from here.
Your ping test results from here.
Your external IP address from here.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

The results of a traceroute.

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:
Click on Start and select Run
Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok
A black box will appear.
In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter
Paste the output of this command into your reply.

On a Mac:

Open Terminal (Applications, Utilities)

Type 'traceroute 212.183.133.177'

Enter

I used to be on Sky and never had any issues though it could be that they have changed something on their network.

Nabs

sorry Nab forgot to put IP 94.0.130.193

Thanks, Gemma

ghec123

I did this with someone the other day who said my PING and upload speed is too slow.

PING 52

download 1.91

upload 0.51

However, this seems to fluctuate quite a bit throughout the day

Kind regards,

Gemma

Nabs

Hi Gemma,

As you mentioned your speed appearst o be slightly on the low side.

With the older version (v1 and 2) of the Sure Signal you could get away with having a download speed as low as 1Mbps and upload of around half that however the latest version (v3) seems to need a bit more and I think officially needs around 4Mbps download though this will be to handle all the simultanious calls. I imagine the minimum you could get away with is probably around the 2Mbps download (1.9 should be fine) but the upload probably needs to be nearer 1Mbps (you're only getting half that)

What speeds have Sky quoted that you should be getting?

It might be worth running your details through the BT Wholesale checker to see if another provvider could give you a better connection.

Nabs

Hi ghec123,

The issue is going to be down to the speed of your broadband.

Unfortunately we no longer stock the older version.

To double check that it is the broadband speed, can you try it on a different internet connection at a friends house?

Also, can you confirm the Sure signal serial number?

James

ghec123

Hi Nab,

So would it work better if we had an old version of a sure signal box?

if this is the case, can we trade our new one with an old model via your exchange team?

This is the fastest download, PING and upload sky can give us until our are gets fibre.

Thanks,

Gemma

Nabs

I'm not sure even an older model would help as they require nearer 1Mbps upload which you don't currently have.

One of the eForum Team may be able to advise otherwise but that was always my understanding.

If you don't mind me asking what area are you in?

Nabs