Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal problem

TerenceWatts78
4: Newbie
I've just bought a Vodafone Sure Signal but cannot get it working. Powere light is flashing, user light is orange. Connections are all ok, to Netgear DGND 3700 v2 router, and the Sure Signal device is registered correctly. called 191 to be told that I needed to open ports on the router, texted me the info, along with the info the the device doesn't work on PPoE, only PPoA network protocols. Called 191 again, to be told that it DOES work on PPoE. The instruction book states that everything connects automatically and I have not the vaguest idea hw to set these ports on my router, so I shall be pleased to receive any help on info at all! Terence Watts
20 REPLIES 20

Retired-Matt_Vo
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi 

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

Matt

TerenceWatts78
Hi Matt, Thanks. I'm on a Mac - can you advise on how to access the traceroute command on that? Speed test: 2.4 down .48 up Ping 39 ms IP Adress: 78.32.159.128 SS serial number: 40131133890 I've only registered the SS around 3 hours ago, so things might improve, I suppose. I'm worried about the PPPoE/PPPoA thing though.

TerenceWatts78
Traceroute: traceroute to www.terencewatts.com (94.199.185.210), 64 hops max, 72 byte packets 1 vodafonemobile.wif (192.168.0.1) 1.165 ms 0.961 ms 0.938 ms 2 lns11.inx.dsl.enta.net (188.39.1.2) 28.401 ms 29.157 ms 28.620 ms 3 gi1-1.inx.dist.dsl.enta.net (188.39.1.1) 27.532 ms 28.798 ms 28.068 ms 4 te2-2.interxion.dsl.enta.net (78.33.141.89) 28.165 ms 28.239 ms 28.009 ms 5 te2-3.interxion.core.enta.net (87.127.236.209) 28.638 ms 27.261 ms 28.568 ms 6 te4-2.telehouse-east.core.enta.net (87.127.236.137) 29.107 ms 29.236 ms 28.603 ms 7 linx-the.netplan.co.uk (195.66.225.243) 29.782 ms 29.568 ms 29.553 ms 8 bgp1-cov.netplan.co.uk (94.199.184.10) 35.108 ms 35.633 ms 34.892 ms 9 phoenix.netplan.co.uk (94.199.185.210) 33.832 ms 34.569 ms 33.429 ms

I have got exactly the same problem with the same router.  I recieved my sure signal on Monday and have spent hours trying to configure it.  I have had vodafone even dial in and check the settings.  Everything should work,  but it doesnt.   I have come to the conclusion after doing hours of research,  that the Netgear DGND 3700 v2 is simply not compatible with sure signal.   I know it is definatly a router problem as when I plug in an old BT Home hub, the sure signal works.  Unfortunatly I cant use the home hub as it hasnt got the features I need.   

TerenceWatts78
Hmm... I get the feeling it's not going to work :Sad_face: In my case, I think it's the network protocol, since my ISP uses PPoE and the SS is apparently only compatible with PPoA. I have an older Netgear router, but it didn't work with that either...

Hi guys,

TerenceWatts78 - Thanks for posting the details. The IP, speeds and traceroute all look fine.

To start with, I've done a resync on our system. Can you do a factory reset of the Sure Signal to pick this up?

• Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports.
  • Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds.
  • Once the lights come back on, release the button.
  • The Sure Signal will come online in around 1 hour.

If it doesn't clear things, there are other things we can check for you to help.

I'm unsure which light you mean by the "user light". The three orange lights could mean different things, so can you confirm which this is - just say if it's light 1, 2 or 3 going from left to right.

We don't have the specific instructions for routers as there are many makes and models available. The router manufacturer should have the details on how to check the ports on their website.

Can you also just advise if the Ethernet lights on the Sure Signal are lit, flashing or off for me?

===================================

pbeebe - Can you make sure that the offending router's MTU setting is set to 1500? If it can't be set that high, just use the highest setting available.

Also, make sure that the following ports are open for forwarding: 8, 50, 123, 500, 4500.

Finally, can you check the Ethernet lights on the Sure Signal and try plugging the Ethernet cable into a different port on the router?

Dave

If I've helped at all today, why not leave me a little feedback?

Hi Dave,

The MTU wont go quite that high,  max is somthing like 1468 or similar.  I did wonder if that was the problem?

Apart from that I have done everything else you have recomended.  I really think it is an issue with the router which considering I bought only a couple of weeks ago is a massive pain.   

I have found a solution.

I connected my sure signal to an apple airport base station, which in turn wirelessly connects to an apple time capsule which connects via ethernet to my netgear router.   Within 10 minutes the SS had connected and I have 3g.    I dont understand why or how this works,  but it does,  I had even reset my router back to factory default,  so no ports are forwarded etc etc.    I apreciate not everyone has these other apple products,  but does show that it will work in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing (I dont!).  By the way,  I didnt even know what port forwarding was before this little saga!

TerenceWatts78
@Dave - I held the reset button in for at least 90 seconds but nothing changed. Released it, the lights went out, then came back on but the same as before. Power light flashing, light 3 (extreme right) steady orange. The Router speed is set at 1492, which is the maximum it will go to. I've tried with another, earlier, Netgear router with the same result. I tried plugging the SS cable into a Lan port instead and this time the power light was flashing and lights 2 & 3 were solid orange. All the required ports are open. Any ideas?