Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal problem

TerenceWatts78
4: Newbie
I've just bought a Vodafone Sure Signal but cannot get it working. Powere light is flashing, user light is orange. Connections are all ok, to Netgear DGND 3700 v2 router, and the Sure Signal device is registered correctly. called 191 to be told that I needed to open ports on the router, texted me the info, along with the info the the device doesn't work on PPoE, only PPoA network protocols. Called 191 again, to be told that it DOES work on PPoE. The instruction book states that everything connects automatically and I have not the vaguest idea hw to set these ports on my router, so I shall be pleased to receive any help on info at all! Terence Watts
20 REPLIES 20

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi pbeebe,

Thanks for getting back to us.

I’m pleased to see this is working now! :Laughing_Face:

TerenceWatts78,

Please try the following:

-Check that your Sure Signal has been assigned an internal IP address by your Router:

In order to connect to your network and the Internet, the Sure Signal must be assigned an internal IP address by your Router. If your Router supports DHCP, this must be enabled. Doing so will enable the Router to assign an IP address to your Sure Signal automatically.
For detailed instructions on how to enable this, please consult your Router manual, or contact your ISP or Router Manufacturer.

If your Router or network configuration does not allow DHCP, then you will need to assign a static IP address to your Sure Signal's MAC Address, using your Router's configuration panel. Please consult your ISP or Router Manufacturer for instructions on how to do this. The MAC address can be found on the sticker at the back of the Sure Signal unit.

-Try a different Ethernet cable

-Let us know who your internet provider is.

Thanks,

Jenny

I would have to disagree with your above advice Jenny.  None of what you have sugested will work.  You need an external device to handle the SS.  The Netgear is not compatible with SS on it's own.  I would love to be proved wrong,  but I wont be.   

Rinse and repeat........

TerenceWatts78
Thank you Jenny. DHCP is supported and enabled. I've assigned a static IP address to the Sure Signal BUT there is something odd going on: the MAC in the router is not remotely like the MAC on the Sure Signal unit. Unplug the unit, and the MAC address disappears so, it's evidently the correct one, though different from that on the case. I don't really see that that should matter though. I had already tried a different ethernet cable and the router is a nearly new Netgear DGND3700 v2. My ISP is Netplan, and they sub lines from BT, so ultimately it's a BT line. I don't have the Airport facility that Pbeebe spoke of, so that's not an option for me.

TerenceWatts78
DCHP is supported and enabled - and I assigned a static IP address to the sure signal device anyway, but the MAC address in the routed is different from the MAC address on the sure signal device itself, though I can't see that should make any difference. I had already tried a different ethernet cable; my ISP is Netplan, who sub the broadband from BT so ultimately it;s a BT line. Any other ideas?

TerenceWatts78
I've replied to this twice before but the replies keep disappearing :Sad_face: DHCP is supported and enabled, I've assigned a permanent IP address to the Sure Signal, but the MAC address shown in the computer is different to the one on the device itself for some reason - I'm not sure that this should make any difference though. I had already tried a new ethernet cable and my ISP is Netplan who sub lines from BT for their Broadband provision - so it is, in effect, a BT line.

TerenceWatts78
My replies keep on disappearing - so I don;t know what to do next.

I'm trying to reply to 'Jenny' a tech team member, but my replies are disappearing... Jenny said: TerenceWatts78, Please try the following: -Check that your Sure Signal has been assigned an internal IP address by your Router: In order to connect to your network and the Internet, the Sure Signal must be assigned an internal IP address by your Router. If your Router supports DHCP, this must be enabled. Doing so will enable the Router to assign an IP address to your Sure Signal automatically. For detailed instructions on how to enable this, please consult your Router manual, or contact your ISP or Router Manufacturer. If your Router or network configuration does not allow DHCP, then you will need to assign a static IP address to your Sure Signal's MAC Address, using your Router's configuration panel. Please consult your ISP or Router Manufacturer for instructions on how to do this. The MAC address can be found on the sticker at the back of the Sure Signal unit. -Try a different Ethernet cable -Let us know who your internet provider is. Thanks, Jenny ‎25-04-2013 07:17 PM Kudoed! 1 Kudo My reply was: I've replied to this twice before but the replies keep disappearing :Sad_face: DHCP is supported and enabled, I've assigned a permanent IP address to the Sure Signal, but the MAC address shown in the computer is different to the one on the device itself for some reason - I'm not sure that this should make any difference though. I had already tried a new ethernet cable and my ISP is Netplan who sub lines from BT for their Broadband provision - so it is, in effect, a BT line.

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi TerenceWatts78,

Thanks for responding. The point you made around different MAC address details showing on your computer and device has raised a flag for me.

I don't want you to post details around this for security reasons but so that my team can check up on that, could you follow the instructions on how to reach my team here

Cheers, Ben

I've given up on the whole idea now :Sad_face: Vodafone are collecting it on Monday... so I'll have to try something else.