Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal stopped working after upgrade to BT Infinity

JonasBrown
4: Newbie

Hi

Howe recently up graded our broadband and since this time the sure signal has stopped working, no lights at all. I we reset the lights do flash etc so power is not the issue.

I also keep receiving texts saying we have moved the unit and need to update the postcode, though it hasn't in fact moved.

any suggestions?

82 REPLIES 82

Jim

Router is top notch.Set up on inifity plug and play . No need to enter any username or password, Have not bought the AC adaptor. My networks is Gigabit wired only ipad and iphones connect wifi. The router is much quicker than the BT one

Jim

I'm considering buying the router you've had success with (Asus). Can you explain what the optional AC adaptor you mention is for? Is this needed to connect to the router wirelessly?

Thanks

Karl

Hi Karl,

The ASUS router adopts the latest 802.11ac wireless technology. It is far far faster than the 802.11n that most of us use at the moment. "AC" technology can give gigahertz wireless performance. It can go up to 3.6 GHz but there are limits within most current networks (including devices connected to the routers wirelessly) which means that most are limited to an agregate throughput of up to 1750Mhz.

The ASUS AC router will work with all current wireless types and has dual band capability. I have a linksys express card which has dual band capability under the N specification but no router until the ASUS has got the maximum out of it with a previous maximum of 150 MHz but it now connects at 300MHz (or just under).

However, to get the maximum out of AC wireless you need a proper AC adapter to plug into you PC or laptop. The best available at the moment is the Netgear AC adapter. It's limit is that it still only works on the USB 2 protocol which normally limits it to 450 MHz however, Netgear include extensive software whichj you run on your laptop which enhances the drivers for USB 2 and I get 800 MHz transfer rates (double the 450 USB 2 limit by bonding two USB channels within your computer) This is seriously advanced technology and works really well.

so, in terms of the ASUS to work with the VSS you don't need to do anything than just set it up and it will work with your existing wireless devices but you can buy the Netgear AC USB adapter and get much higher wireless throughput, assuming you need it for fast data transfer. If you don't need this capability, you don't need to buy any adapters to get a good, flexible router for your network especially as it works with the VSS.

As an aside, ASUS are due to launch their USB AC adapter, the USB-AC53 which would match or beat the Netgear.

HTH.

Jim.

Thanks for such a detailed reply

Karl

Hello - can one of the techs help me?

I have a first generation sure signal that I have used for several years.  On Monday I chnaged my broadband provider to BT Business Infinity and since then my Sure Signal has not been able to reconnect - top light is on and bottom light (of 4) occasionally flashes but cannot connect.  So far I have tried the following:

- Checked port mapping (router did not chnage with BB switch) and also included port 1723 for UDP/TCP

- Tried putting the VSS in its own DMTZ with its own Ip address

- Messed about witgh MTU - I can select 1500 but unsurprisingly my Infinity connection is only stable with MTU of 1492

- I have reset the VSS (holding reset button for thirt seconds and recycling the power) several times

I have therefore concluded the problem may be at Vodafone servers and hence would request a reset - the geolocation for my new fixed IP address range from BT shows up as Skipton - I live in Hertfordshire and hence this may have confused the situation?

to short circuit your questions:

VSS serial no: 21196847830

Speedtest: 33Mbps donstream and 7.8Mbps upstream

Ping: 0% packet loss, ping 23ms, jitter 2ms

My external IP (sure signal):  217.40.115.56

Traceroute:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Nick>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms * <1 ms BT Fibre.router [192.168.1.254]
2 11 ms * 11 ms host81-134-112-1.in-addr.btopenworld.com [81.134
.112.1]
3 12 ms * 12 ms 213.120.182.141
4 13 ms * 13 ms 213.120.161.82
5 12 ms * 12 ms 31.55.164.179
6 12 ms * 12 ms 31.55.164.107
7 16 ms * 16 ms acc1-10GigE-0-3-0-1.bm.21cn-ipp.bt.net [109.159.
248.112]
8 19 ms * 20 ms core1-te0-3-0-14.ealing.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.2
48.24]
9 17 ms * 17 ms peer1-xe0-0-0.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.2
54.96]
10 56 ms * 22 ms LNDGW2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]
11 19 ms * 19 ms 85.205.116.14
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 *

Can anybody help here?

Many thanks

Nick

Hi Nick, I had exactly the same problem and had to change my router out from the BT supplied one to another. I originally chose a Draytek router but that did not work properly and I then sttled on an Asus one, the RT-AC66U. It fits with the BT infinity fibre driver nicely and works well with the VSS. I have had no issues although I have done a firmware update recently which did cure a few bugs on the ASUS (not related to the fibre interface though).

This is an expensive option though and only to be taken if you are desperate for your VSS to work on BT Infinity.

Jim.

I had the same problems and solved it with Jim's help by changing to the Asus. Jim - what problems did you have that needed a firmware update?

Thanks Jim - I have closely gone through all your extremely helpful posts.

I am using a Draytek 2820 and would like to stick with it if possible as it is extemely reliable and does exactly what I need.  Having said that I also need my SureSignal as I have no Vodafone coverage in my office without it so wanted to try the reset before swapping out bits of kit.

Do you have any experince of the Draytek 2850? - some seem to say that works with VSS and BT Infinity (fixed IP) and I would prefer to stay with a brand / interface I am familiar with if I have to change it.

Nick

Hi Nick, I have tried the 2820 (extensively), the 2750 and the 2850 (borrowed one!). None worked with the VSS on Infinity. Although I have no direct proof and VF do not talk about routers, I stronly believe that the problem is the handling of Jumbo Framed Packets on Infinity. The VSS sends out 1500 MTU packets but Infinity needs 1492 MTU sized packets. The router has to handle this discrepancy. The Drayteks do not seem to handle it properly and the BT fibre hubs also seem to have problems. That said, there are people on here who have got them to work. All I can say is that I struggled to get any connection with the VSS to BT Infinity as soon as I upgraded. The ASUS was a bit of a gamble but in it's specs it did say that it handles Jumbp Framed Packets properly within it's software so I took a gamble. It paid off for me and it is very reliable with the VSS and is a cracking router with Infinity as well.

The AC wireless connection boost is just gravy on the cherry pie for me! (Yuk!).

Jim.