Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal stopped working after upgrade to BT Infinity

JonasBrown
4: Newbie

Hi

Howe recently up graded our broadband and since this time the sure signal has stopped working, no lights at all. I we reset the lights do flash etc so power is not the issue.

I also keep receiving texts saying we have moved the unit and need to update the postcode, though it hasn't in fact moved.

any suggestions?

82 REPLIES 82

Hi guys,

Firstly, just to clarify, the Sure signal can work with an MTU of 1500 - if you can't set this we just advise to select the largest available on your system.  If it is too low it can affect audio quality as packets may not get through properly, but 1492 is commonly cited as the maximum available by customers and tends to address this well.

-----------------------------

JonasBrown - Looking at your Sure Signal on the system, it registered another location change - either physical or virtual - following Lee's resync. I've performed another resync, so please run a factory reset on the box for me.

If this doesn't help, can you try amending the Sure Signal's registered postcode online for me, wait a couple of hours and then change it back. If something is stuck triggering changes in the system this should address it. Once you've done that, reset again and let us know how you get on.

To factory reset:

• Hold down the reset button until all the lights show (about 30 seconds)
  • Keeping the reset button held down, remove then re-insert the power lead.
  • Once all lights display release the reset button.
  • The Sure Signal will come online in around 1 hour.

Also, if you can try on an alternate internet connection this would help to rule out anything 

-----------------------------

rederick - So we can take a better look for you, please can you post the details requested, including the following information.

Your Sure Signal serial number.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a Traceroute.

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run.

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok.

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave, thanks for the info on the MTU but it does not seem to match what I see. If I set anything other than 1500 MTU on my network the VSS does not work at all. When I used the Draytek 2820, it worked fine when I set the fragmentation on and an MTU of 1492. The VSS was still sending out MTU 1500 packets. At no time was I able to get the VSS to send out MTU 1492 packets. My only option was to fragment the packets. Have I missed soemthing here?

This worked OK until 17th October when it all stopped. I had changed nothing and every other device worked on my network except the VSS. I am going to try something on the Draytek which another user with the same problem has tried and it worked. I have managed to get the VSS back on-line using the BT hub 3 but it does not have the VPN protocols I need for my business.

Jim.

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Jim,

As we're not certified to give router specific device, would you mind posting your findings here when you've had a chance to try this out? 

Cheers, Ben

Hi Dave

I've done another reset but worryingly after the lights briefly flashing it quickly went back to a single solid light.

I'm going to change the postcode now then change back in an hour or so. I'll then reset again. If this fails I will take it home tonight and try it on my home broadband (virgin media)

Again, thanks everybody for the help and suggestions

Hi Ben, will do but can you answer a technical question about the VSS. Does it do a Path MTU Discover test and adjust it's packet size accordingly? I think it does not and just sends out 1500 MTU packets whatever. I know that it can work over MTU 1492 PPPoE networks but only if one of the routers fragments the 1500 packets to 1492 properly. Although this can work, it is much much more tricky than 1500 MTU network as PPPoA in the UK.

The answer is improtant to us users as it points to the solutions to this problem.

I know you cannot provide technical help on the non-standard routers but the VSS is a seriously poor design for modern networks and is very hard to get to work properly on the modern PPPoE networks with an MTU of 1492. More and more people will be moving over to these networks in future and it is the modern way forward. Perhaps you could make some feeback to your VSS developers to improve the VSS network capability on PPPoE networks. It is not sufficent just to say that we must use the BT fibre hub router as this does not always work and it is a simple device without the facilities, such as VPN, thast modern businesses need.

This trial and error approach is really starting to affect the VF good name.

Jim.

Hi

I am having the same problems as outlined by others in this thread. I have recently moved from BT resential infinity service (no problems) to BT Business Infinity using Homehub 3. My green powelight is on (solid) but no other lights are on. The 2 lights round the back for the ethernet connection both flicker continuously to show activity. Tried setting the router MTU to 1500 but it says 1,492 is the max. Details requested below - can someone help me?

Sure Signal serial number: 21224648010

Your speed test results from here. - download 9.18 Mbps, upload 4.49 Mbps

Your ping test results from here. Ping 50ms. jitter 20ms, line quality B

Your external IP address from here81.133.20.14

The results of a Traceroute.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Karl>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 3 ms 3 ms 4 ms BTBusinessHub.home [192.168.1.254]
2 24 ms 23 ms 24 ms host81-134-64-1.in-addr.btopenworld.com [81.134.
64.1]
3 25 ms 25 ms 25 ms 213.120.182.141
4 27 ms 28 ms 29 ms 213.120.161.82
5 27 ms 30 ms 26 ms 31.55.164.81
6 24 ms 24 ms 25 ms 31.55.164.107
7 29 ms 29 ms 29 ms acc1-10GigE-0-7-0-5.bm.21cn-ipp.bt.net [109.159.
248.78]
8 32 ms 35 ms 31 ms core2-te-0-10-0-7.ilford.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.
248.18]
9 30 ms 32 ms 31 ms peer1-xe0-1-0.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.2
54.132]
10 33 ms 32 ms 34 ms LNDGW2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]
11 38 ms 31 ms 31 ms 85.205.116.10
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.

thanks

Karl

Hi Jimfew,

Thanks for your post here and I understand your concern. Unfortunately, I’m not sure how the Sure Signal manages packets but I’ll definitely feedback your comments.

Hi Mahrenholz,

I’ve had a look at your Sure Signal and it doesn’t appear to have made a connection to the network since the end of Oct so I’ve performed a resync. Can you let me know how it goes?

Thanks

Wayne

I reset the box again but still not able to connect. It's strange that at least one other person with the same ISP (BT Business infinity) has had the same problem since the same date

I'm at a loss as to what to do next

I am also with BT Business Infinity and I cannot get the VSS working on my Draytek 2820 when it did before. I have set up the Fibre router V3 that BT supply and after a little "fetting" have got the VSS working. I have the optional priority packets and a fixed IP. I cannot understand either why my Draytek does not work or why my BT router does and yours doesn't. It can only be a difference in our setup configuration or that we are routed differently by BT over their WAN.

I didn't get chance to take it home this weekend but will be doing tonight to see if it helps. I changed the post code as suggested but I couldn't change back on Friday, the website appeared to be having some issues so going to try that again and a reset today.

If that doesn't work I'll take it home and see if I can get it working there.