Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal stopped working

VickiN
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, 

I have a Sure Signal Version 1 and it has decided to stop working.  It has been working fine since I first got it well over a year ago (can't remember exactly when I got it, but it has been a long time).  This is a real nuisance as I get no Vodafone coverage at home!!

It stopped working a couple of weeks ago and despite speaking to Vodafone and resetting it several times, as well as de-registering and re-registering also, still no joy. 

The lights on the back by the ethernet cable are steady yellow and steady or flashing orange.

Sometimes I have no lights, sometimes just the power light and sometimes lights 1 & 2 with 4 flashing.

I use a BT HomeHub 3.

My S/S is a Sagem and the Serial Number is 21230683613.

I hope you can help me.  I am having to use my landline all the time to call other mobiles and it is costing me a fortune!  As a household, we spend about £60 a month for calls we are unable to use!!!!  We nly chose Vodafone because of the Sure Signal, depsite having to pay for it!

I look forward to hearing from you. 

Many thanks. 

81 REPLIES 81

OK an update from me.

Reset the SS as recommended for 30s, seemed to boot up ok after an hour. Finally, got the third "in use" light to work. Went upstairs, phoned my voicemail, and the call failed after about 30s. Went back downstairs, and all the lights were out and the power light was orange. Did a 5 second reset and it booted back up fine.

Made a conference call and got kicked out after about 30 mins, went downstairs and the box was completely off. No lights whatsoever. Did a 5s reset and it booted back up ok. Then did the next call for an hour OK.

Basically its becoming embarrassing being in conference calls, or calls to the customer and being kicked out all the time. It was a point of amusement but its gone well beyond that now, and I have to use vodaphone as this is a stipulation for the company i work for.

I have even moved the SS as high up and away from the router as I can to get the best mobile signal, but even when it does work if I step more than 20ft away from the box it just drops the call. I live in a normal 1940's semi.

The damn thing just is so unreliable.

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi folks,

Peter - I'll feed back the light sequences you've seen to our technicians to see if the light sequences have updated for the Sure Signal 1. If they need amending, we'll update the guide accordingly, but we need to make sure yours wasn't an isolated example. 

If you need a firmware update at any point, we can perform one manually from here. Customers need only supply their serial number and leve the device connected. When we confirm the software is on it's way, it will take no longer than 24 hours to complete. The firmware version or name isn't published.

Pete - I'm glad to see yours is up and running again. :Smiling:

Piratepete - Let me know the name of the Asus router you're using. Positioning your Sure Signal in different locations at home can improve performance and connectivity. 

Many thanks, Ben

Ben,

Thanks for coming back.

Its an Asus

RT-N66U Dual Band router.

I've had it a for maybe a couple of months but didn't seem to affect the SS as its been pretty rubbish when I had a home hub too.

Ben_H

Can you clarify the SureSignal Firmware situation for me.  I remain unclear as to whether I do need an update?  Please confirm.  If I do need an update how does that get organised?  Do I have to request it?  Or is at all automatically pushed put to me - it sounds like it isn't.

Please advise.

I am still waiting for my BT Home Hub 3 Firmware update to be delivered.

Thanks

Hi Peter2D

Having been through the mill here recently (and with BT) I can tell you :

1) The BT firmware update makes no difference. I was an early recipient of it and while it does fix issues with some people's VPN access it does not help with the SureSignal.

2) The reset procedure described does not match reality. I found that when holding the reset button for 30 seconds this triggered a 1,2,3,4 light sequence - not 4 solid lights as stated.

3) You do not need to set up any port forwarding etc on the BT HomeHub3 with the SureSignal V1 - mine is now working fine without and had previously done so for several years.

4) My issue was 100% caused by the SS power supply. While it looked like the SS was powered properly I suspect that perhaps the supply was marginal and this prevented successful completion of the boot sequence. If you have your old HomeHub2 or some other 12V/1.5A power supply that fits then give it a go. I'm still amazed this was the solution but several people here have found the same and I've helped at least one other person away from here with the same solution.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your posts.

@Piratepete – It sounds like there is something causing the VPN connection to drop on the Sure Signal.

When this happens, do you notice it the unit getting hotter than normal?

@Peter2D – The firmware will be fine unless you see lights 1,2 and 4 and don’t get a 3G signal.

Once the Home Hub has been updated, please let us know if you have any problems.

James 

The unit does seem to run very hot in general, and always has done.

Todays report is it worked for the first call this morning, then kicked me out of the second call. Now the "in use" light doesn't light up again.

Hi Piratepete,

Do you have the option of trying the Sure Signal is a different plug socket?

This may give greater ventilation and keep the unit cooler.

If this doesn’t make a difference, the Sure Signal may be faulty and would need sending for repair.

Thanks,

Andy

OK I have moved it to different positions and tried different extension leads but its just not getting the "in use" light to function at all now.

Whats the quickest option to get it resolved now as a business customer? Take it into a shop?

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Peter2D

Thanks for letting us know your issue has been resolved :).

wayside59 - Please test the Sure Signal at a different location, this will establish if you have a faulty SS.

Piratepte - It would need to be sent for a repair, see how to arrange this here.

Thanks

Sukhi