Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal stopped working

joffbeck
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

On 13th Feb 2015 my Sure Signal stopped working. I did all the resets that Vodafone advised but still didn't work. Advised as my box was an old one (V1 over 5 years old) I probably needed to buy a new one. Tried to buy a new one but apparently out of stock. Seems like lot's of other people have had similar problems. Issues like firmware updates not being sent and many other blogs with same issues. What is going on. Is it really my box needs replacing or have Vodafone not come clean about what the real problem is.

11 REPLIES 11

Retired-Matt_B
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @joffbeck,

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below including the following information:

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks,

Matt

3.12 download

0.32 upload

39.13 ping latency

What is external IP address?

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\geoff>212.183.33.177
'212.183.33.177' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\geoff>

Sagem V1 Sure signal box Serial no 21196821702

@joffbeck

Sounds like you ned a new power unit mate.  I had exactly the same problem - as well as many others.  See link below.

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Sure-Signal-V1-not-working-for-1-week-now/m-p/23...

Get a nother power unit (12v at least 2amps and 2.5mm jack) from a weel know auction site.  Prices from £2.50 to around£10.

Forget all the tests Voda tell you to do - they have no idea what a simple solution this is.

Good luck

Raj

Why would a new power adapter make any difference. There is power to the unit.

The SS V1 will still have the lights flasing (or the power on light is steady) as though there is power - and there is - just not enough to get it to link to the router etc and start working.

There are lots of SS V1 that are between 3 to 5 years that have had this and many have been fixed by a new power supply.  Just look at all teh threads relating to this.

Believe me I was very sceptical too but it worked for me and many others.  My SS was up and running within 5 minutes with a new power supply.

Either try a new power supply for about a fiver or be without a signal and buy a new SS for £100.  I know which I would do (and did).

OK Raj. Thanks for the explanation. I'll give it a try and let you know how I get on. Geoff

I got a new  power  supply....no difference. So I got a  new Suresignal V3  ( so that makes  £110 in total)...still no  luck. The man on the phone  says that I need  Broadband  download  of over  5mbs and  upload of at least 1.5 ( where  would I get that...central London?....lol!!!) to get  V3 to work. If my Broadband  worked  with V1  , why  won't it with V3. If I live in a  non-signal mobile area, I'm  hardly  likely  to  be able to get higher  broadband speed....lol!!!!! The whole thing is a shambles...and a rip-off.

I don't get 5M. Never have and it's always worked fine up to now. I've got loads of old power supplies at home so I'll try to get one that fits. But I'm scepital that it will work. I'd like to try the V3 but as Vodafone have no stock anywhere (at least a month away before they get any) I can't try that either. As you say what a shambles. I've been with Vodafone for over 20 years and last year considered switching as I wasn't happy about a number of things. Didn't do it as I thought "frying pan into the fire" and they were the only ones with a sure signal. O2 now have there own sure signal box if Vodafone don't sort this out soon I will definately switch this time.

The lack of Suresignal boxes is a myth ( don't ask me why they do it)...our small town  phone shop got one in less than 24  hours  from his supplier and I was also told  over the phone that there is no problem getting one from Vodaphone by mail-order. Maybe they think creating an imaginary  shortage  creates  demand..or justifies the high price. I didn't  know  that about O2..I will definitely  look into that...thanks!!