Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal v3 Drops Calls and then resets

davidbu
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I've had my VSS 3 for just a few weeks but around 75% of all calls either received or placed will fail mid-call. In the last few days its 100% of all calls will fail in less than 5 minutes. I've reset the device but with no effect.

What is noticeable though that at the point the call fails all of the LED indicators go blank and the VSS 3 starts to reboot / reset. This can take quite some time, ie upwards of 15 minutes or more before its ready.

I have a super fast broadband connection and use both PC based VoIP services and also a phone based SIP service for long periods of time, eg 2 hour conference calls, with no jitter or quality loss. 

I strongly suspect a faulty VSS 3 or an inherrent firmware problem as the device is clearly resetting itself at the point of call drop. 

All details below...

SN 40133477352
ALU 9361 p3.0

ping 21ms, jitter 2ms
down 120 mbps, up 11 mbps
IP External 86.20.88.209 
ISP Virgin Media

Traceroute has started… traceroute to 212.183.133.177 (212.183.133.177), 64 hops max, 72 byte packets 1  192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1)  1.258 ms  0.976 ms  0.815 ms 2  cpc8-woki7-2-0-gw.6-2.cable.virginm.net (86.20.88.1)  12.066 ms  10.460 ms  8.764 ms 3  glfd-core-2a-ae3-2199.network.virginmedia.net (62.254.207.249)  26.314 ms  11.697 ms  12.085 ms 4  brnt-bb-1a-ae17-0.network.virginmedia.net (62.253.174.89)  13.267 ms  14.360 ms  11.183 ms 5  brnt-bb-1c-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net (62.253.174.30)  15.855 ms  16.252 ms  30.403 ms 6  brhm-bb-1c-et-410-0.network.virginmedia.net (62.253.175.210)  15.597 ms  16.594 ms  23.425 ms 7  * * * 8  lndgw2.arcor-ip.net (195.66.224.124)  39.337 ms  38.617 ms  36.273 ms 9  85.205.116.14 (85.205.116.14)  39.175 ms  37.134 ms  34.724 ms 10  * * * 11  * * * 12  * * * 13  * * *
14  * *

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I left it a few weeks before giving an update but after many calls I've not had a single issue 🙂 Call quality has been fine and no intermittent call drops or resets of the VSS. 

Unsure what made the difference in the end but the sequence of steps taken included:

1. Checked router settings and firmware levels (all OK and made no changes)

2. Assigned a STATIC IP ADDRESS to the VSS3 and also enabled PORT FORWARDING per the instructions

3. Based on this post Vodafone pushed a FIRMWARE UPDATE and the VSS3 was reset

My feeling is 3. is what made the difference of the random resets and 2. probably ensured good call quality and drops during some calls. 

My thanks to the team at Vodafone - I know you probably get a lot of flack here but your help solved the problem!

View solution in original position

6 REPLIES 6

Retired-Kay
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi davidbu, 

Can you check the information in our troubleshooting guide here to make sure you have the correct ports forwarded? 

Can you also try it on a different Internet connection (friend or family members) so we can determine if the fault is with the Sure Signal? 

Thanks, 

Kay

I'll check the router settings and port forwarding but as the device can work for a period of time satisfactorily I doubt thats the issue. 

I've checked the troubleshooting guides already and the one you referenced is when you get a solid orange light. Again, the issue I have doesn't result in one or more orange lights but all of the LED's going blank and the VSS3 clearly resetting itself. Your server logs will undoubtedly show this as it need to reauthenticate each time. 

The internet cable has been changed and also I've switched ports as well between a router and a switch. I also have other SIP and VoIP devices working very satisfactorily so I doubt an ISP or any other router, FW or switch issue. 

I can try another ISP when I get time but doubt this will show anything different. 

Thanks.

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi davidbu,

I appreciate your testing it on an alternative ISP and opening the ports in the guide. 

Feel free to post back the results when you get a chance and we can advise from there. :Smiling:

Cheers, Ben

Ben, thanks for the reply. 

I've allocated a static IP address to the VSS3 and opened the required ports against that address. I also checked all my router settings and set the MTU. I tried two 30 minute test calls with success. I'll montor it now. 

That all said I've noticed this morning the device resetting on its own - it did it just now. This was without any call in progress. Do you do any routine remote resets of VSS's? 

Thanks.

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi davidbu,

Thanks for the update; it’s great to see that your Sure Signal isn’t dropping calls now.

If a firmware update has been pushed out to your device, it’ll force a reset/reboot to complete the installation.

So that we can be sure you're on the latest version of firmware, I've asked that it be pushed out to you tonight.

This will be done over the next few hours and during that time, please don’t unplug or reset the device.

You’ll lose use of the Sure Signal for about an hour whilst it’s updated.

Let me know how you go on.

Cheers,

Andrew

I left it a few weeks before giving an update but after many calls I've not had a single issue 🙂 Call quality has been fine and no intermittent call drops or resets of the VSS. 

Unsure what made the difference in the end but the sequence of steps taken included:

1. Checked router settings and firmware levels (all OK and made no changes)

2. Assigned a STATIC IP ADDRESS to the VSS3 and also enabled PORT FORWARDING per the instructions

3. Based on this post Vodafone pushed a FIRMWARE UPDATE and the VSS3 was reset

My feeling is 3. is what made the difference of the random resets and 2. probably ensured good call quality and drops during some calls. 

My thanks to the team at Vodafone - I know you probably get a lot of flack here but your help solved the problem!