Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal v3 blew up

DaveSkerrett
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Bought a Sure Signal v3 today,  worked for 2 hours then stopped with a loud band and smell of electrical burning, getting refund tomorrow, wouldn't have another one of these in the house, it was like Watching a test on fake Britain, lucky I was in the room when it decided to blow

112 REPLIES 112

AndyBaker
1: Seeker

Ours blew up last week - I was at work, luckily my wife was home. The SureSignal was probably a couple of years old.

She described a bang followed by a burning smell - took out a 30Amp fuse in the consumer unit.

The sure signal itself now has a rattle, I'm assuming some component has blown itself off the Pcb. The fact that it took a fuse out in the consumer unit suggests to me there is no internal fuse in these things.

Ours is a  Model 9361 Home Cell p3.0

If you've got one, I really think twice about leaving it plugged in whilst you're out / asleep!

That is exactly what happened with mine, including the rattle.

Vodafone support asked me to send it back and sent a replacement.  However I am really not sure I can trust these devices any more.   Those that fail seem to fail in the exact same way, and could be a fire hazard. 

When I spoke to Vodafone they were of the view of this is a one off, depite the fact this forum has many posts from people reporting the same problem.

WiFi calling should make these things redundant when it eventually arrives.

drey_p
16: Advanced member

@AndyBaker wrote:

Ours blew up last week 

It may be worth contacting Vodafone to see if they will give you a replacement device. 

PWIAC

Aw328
1: Seeker
We also had the same problem. Both partners have been trying to report it to Vodafone but with no success. We thought that it was a health and safety issue but there was no sign that this was taken seriously. We have not been offered a replacement and have been told to buy another.
We have also often been told that this is the first occurrence of this fault but the one of the technical team knows about this fault.
We have talked to the shop where the sure signal was bought and a member of staff told us that there have been 3 other complaints this week.
I think that Vodafone need to address this immediately .

It is very poor that Vodafone will not acknowledge this issue.  There are many instances here of these devices blowing up.

Maybe tim eto take it to trading standards?

Clearly Vodafone aren't interested.  Maybe they are waiting until someone gets injured or one of these thigns starts a fire before they will atke it seriously?

Will one of the VF team here please respond to this?

Thats very worrying that many VSS3's have blown up/blown fuses/burning smell! 

It may be a small percentage of them overall, but there have been many reported here.  I have had one do it myself.

Vodafone are silent on the subject and will not respond here.  i fyou call they tell yuo they haven't had any other reports of it - clearly not true.

I think this is very poor, do we have to actually have to wait for someone to be injured or a fire before anythign happens?

Note - no response to my last post inviting a comment from VF

Glad I found this thread. One of my two SureSignal 3s blew up this week with a VERY loud bang in the middle of the night and took out the power. It now rattles - and, of course, doesn't work. My other one has been intermittent for a while, but I see Vodafone has owned up to them having created a problem, which they say is now fixed. We'll see. But the exploding SureSignal 3s detailed here are certainly an issue. How odd that Vodafone hasn't issued a warning about them.

It's probably as well that the online shop couldn't cope with my trying to order replacements yesterday. It gave the helpful response that it had encountered a problem. When my local store eventually answered the phone after six minutes when I called to ask if they had them in stock, the first person I spoke to didn't know what a SureSignal is. Oh, the joys of Vodafone.....

Just WiFi Calling to get working properly for everyone now.

My SureSignal 3 exploded with a very loud bang this week, taking out the house electrics with it. I see I'm not alone in having this happen to me, and I think it's important to bring the problem to the attention of Vodafone. I'd expect them to want to discover what caused the failure, and whether there's a design flaw in these Alcatel devices, since there seems to have been a number of similar experiences. Electrical safety is very important, and if there's any hint of a wider issue I'm sure Vodafone would want to warn us.

Can anyone offer advice on how to do this, or preferably would one of the Support guys like to engage?

drey_p

Hi there

You will need to contact 191 or LiveChat and they should be able to arrange for you to return the device and get a replacement. 

PWIAC