Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal v3 blew up

DaveSkerrett
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Bought a Sure Signal v3 today,  worked for 2 hours then stopped with a loud band and smell of electrical burning, getting refund tomorrow, wouldn't have another one of these in the house, it was like Watching a test on fake Britain, lucky I was in the room when it decided to blow

112 REPLIES 112

Do you have any pictures? This is extremely worrying - but unlike those Fake Britain products, Vodafone will know everyone who has one of these, and will be able to manage a full recall within a few days from now. It's going to be one helluva situation for them to deal with.

You can't see anything from the outside, there was just a flash and a strong smell of burning from the unit, taking it back today, will try to get a v2 instead. 

Gutted about it, they were out of stock everywhere local and travelled 110 miles round trip to get one

I found another report of an exploding SS in July. I think it really does now require Vodafone to pay very close attention:-

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Sure-Signal-just-exploded/m-p/2198119/highlight/...

So at least they cannot say that they have never heard of it before.

This is a product they and they alone are responsible for supplying to you; they have contracted the makers directly to brand it Vodafone. Vodafone should really send someone right round to examine all the circumstances of this failure - not tell you to take it to the store!  This is the stuff of Watchdog nightmares.

Please do keep us all posted with what happens next.

G.

Mine has juts blown up!! Thankfully my house circuit board tripped...unfortnately a shiey new monitor that was on the same extension lead has been taken out with it (thanks Vodafone, muchly appreciated).

Just opened up the unit and found this...

IMG_0653.JPGIMG_0652.JPG

Retired-Ian_
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @DaveSkerrett 

I'm sorry to hear about your Sure Signal and I'm glad nobody was hurt.

We take your safety very seriously, so thanks for highlighting this.

Thanks,

Ian

Mine did exactly the same last night, large flash and bang and tripped the circuit board, I wonder if they get too hit when used as pass throughs. How do I get a replacement ?

There are many reports of these devices failing "explosively"  - at what point does Vodafone feel a safety recall is necessary?

L

I have just had the same thing happen to a Sure Signal v3. It is close to 2 years old. There was a loud bang, flash and a circuit trip.

There was a smell of electrical burning from the Suresignal afterwards

How many more of these need to explode before Vodafone recall them?

Vodafone are you replacing them free of charge? Clearly this is a design fault or use of a batch of faulty components, so this would be covered for up to six years under the Sake of Goods act.

Hi @ccarmock 

Please speak with our Live help team, for further help with this.

Thanks,

Sarah