Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal v3 - just stopped working!

caomhinb
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

10 days ago on 20 August 2013 after 8 months of perfect service my Sure SIgnal MODEL 9361 Home Cell p3.0 just stoped working, all I get is the Internet icon pulsing white.

So I rang Vodafone and after all the usual "turn in off and on again and check the cable stuff" they put me through to Muhammad Zahran at Vodafone Egypt who tells me with confidence that my ISP has obviously silently updated my router and have closed down the ports to my Sure SIgnal device, I sate this sounds highly unlikely but he insists this happens all the time.

So I call Virgin Media here in the UK and they state they would never do this, why would they close down ports on a router, makes no sense? I do email Muhammad about this but he choose not to respond to that information and several other emails I sent him. So Vodafone needs to stop saying this as it is highly missleading.

So Muhammad also sends me this email 

Kindly advice your Internet Service Provider to apply the following settings to your Router:

1- Assign a static IP to the Vodafone Sure Signal Device using the MAC Address on the back of the Sure Signal Device

2 - Open the following ports (Incoming & Outgoing) for the Sure Signal assigned IP Address:

Port 50 TCP + UDP

Port 500 TCP + UDP

Port 4500 TCP + UDP

Port 8 TCP + UDP

Port 123 TCP + UDP

Port 1723 TCP + UDP ( if you are with BT )

3- Make the Vodafone Sure Signal has a static IP address

4- Please verify from your Service Provider that they are using PPPoA as authentication & not PPPoE as the Sure Signal is only supporting PPPoA authentication

So with the help of Virgin Media level 2 support guy Tom in Cardiff we setup up all the ports and static IP address on my Virgin Media Super Hub router and it makes no difference at all! Just for good measure Vodafone do a remote resync, I also rest the Sure Signal device by pressing it's reset button and unregister and re-register the device on the Vodafone web site, and no change, still just a pulsing white internet icon.

So has anyone else had a similar problem?

Has anyone had a v3 Sure Signal fail on them?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ah the bit that was missing was I needed to call Vodafone and get them to register my phone again to the new SureSignal device and after an hour or so it started to work again!

So the learnings from this incident is that Vodafone's tech support guys need to stop telling people in the UK that their ISP is shutting down ports on their routers silently, it definetly does not go on with Virgin Media.

They need to find a way to make it easier to diagnose faults with the sure signal device. I still don't know exactly if my old device was faulty or not, none of the tests Vodafone asked me to do proved anything. All I do know is my new one now works and had nothing to do with my VIrgin Media Super Hub needing to forwad ports as Vodafone insisted it did.

Hope this helps other Vodafone and Virgin Media clients 🙂

Kevin

View solution in original position

18 REPLIES 18

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi caomhinb,

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.
Your ping test results from here.
Your external IP address from here.
The results of a traceroute.
Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run
Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok
A black box will appear.
In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter
Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

Andrew

Sure Signal Serial Number is 40124250677

Speed test is 30Mbs download 2Mbs upload

Ping test 19ms jitter 4ms Line Quality B*

Your IP Address is 86.26.225.12

traceroute to 212.183.133.177 (212.183.133.177), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
1 * * *
2 brig-core-2a-ae6-614.network.virginmedia.net (80.3.65.33) 9.204 ms 7.504 ms 8.315 ms
3 brnt-bb-1a-ae19-0.network.virginmedia.net (213.105.159.153) 7.847 ms 10.619 ms 16.643 ms
4 brhm-bb-1b-et-710-0.network.virginmedia.net (62.253.175.42) 14.181 ms 13.168 ms
brnt-bb-1c-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net (62.253.174.30) 10.282 ms
5 brhm-bb-1c-ae7-0.network.virginmedia.net (62.253.174.102) 17.174 ms * 26.705 ms
6 * * *
7 ldngw1.arcor-ip.net (195.66.224.209) 32.014 ms 29.410 ms 32.833 ms
8 85.205.116.14 (85.205.116.14) 28.048 ms 28.256 ms 29.274 ms
9 * * *
10 * * *
11 * * *
12 * * *
13 * * *
14 * * *

15 * * *
16 * * *
17 * * *
18 * * *
19 * * *
20 * * *
21 * * *
22 * * *
23 * * *
24 * * *
25 * * *
26 * * *
27 * * *
28 * * *
29 * * *
30 * * *
31 * * *
32 * * *
33 * * *
34 * * *

Retired-Kay
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi caomhinb, 

Your traceroute is fine. 

The slow pulse of the Internet light means the Sure Signal is Initialising or updating. I can see the last time it updated with our servers was on the 20th August so it really shouldn't take that long. 

Can you try a different Ethernet cable? Even better would be to try it on a different Internet connection completely (at a friend or family members) so we can determine exactly where the problem lies. 

Let me know how you get on. 

Kay

As I said in my first post I have tried a different cable and I don't see how trying it at another house will help, I need it to work with my setup.

I think the device is faulty but Vodafone seemed highly releuctant to send me another one, I know it costs money but they are about to get a rather large cash fall so I think they could afford to!

It's been 2 weeks now with very poor mobile signal, I have jumped through many technical hoops, spent many hours on the problem and still it does not work. Curious as to what they need from me to allow them to send me a new one?

Kevin

So what do you advise Tech Support guys, how can I get Vodafone to belive me that my SureSignal is not working, that  it's nothing to do with my ports and I've tried every test you have?

I just need a working SureSignal after 2 weeks of coping with just 1 bar of signal!

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi caomhinb,

Thanks for posting.

We asked you to try the Sure Signal on another connection as this will help us rule in/out a faulty VSS.

We won't be able to replace/repair the one you have without being sure it's faulty.

Cheers,

LeeH

Well as I said I haven't access to anyone else's setup so every other test has been run on it, seems churlish to deny there is a problem with it afetr everything I've been through!

Hi caomhinb,

We’re quite happy to send the Sure Signal for repair but we do need to confirm that it’s faulty first.

Trying a different internet connection will allow us to discover where the root cause of your issue lies.

Thanks

Andrew

Yes but then I also have to register it at a new location don't I?

Look you can seen I have passed all the tests and altering ports has had no effect, what else can it be then, what's your theroy?