Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal v3 on BT Inifinity, is there any hope

timbooo
3: Seeker

I feel like maybe I'm just repeating all the other threads, but there is always the off-chance that their problems are all solved and they never came back to report it... everyone tends to post about problems but no-one bothers to post success, which is fairly natural!

I have a VSS3 connected to a BT Home Hub 5 on Infinity (approx 80M) and I have not been able to get a connection. I get a mixture of "can't connect to Internet" and "can't connect to Vodafone" (communicated by the LED combos).

I have de- and re- registered. I have reset numerous times. I have opened all the ports, and even put the VSS into the modem's DMZ (after giving it a reserved IP) to give it as free a path out to the Internet as possible. Nothing.

I would like to know if it has ever managed to contact the 'mothership', which you (tech team) seem to be able to check on. Serial number is 42153729845.

The general tone of the forum suggests the VSS3 does not work with BT Infinity. It would have been nice to be told that in the shop, I suppose I can let them know when (if...?) I have to take it back.

7 REPLIES 7

skibumza

I've had my vss3 for about 6 months. And until 2 days ago its been working perfectly on my bt home hub 5 with infinity. I chatted with a vodafone support person today who resynced it and said it would be working within 4 hours. Its just about 4 hours now, and it still isn't working. I don't actually hold out much hope it will work today. Clearly with the number of people reporting issues this weekend with the bt home hub 5, bt clearly did something that has upset the vss3. Hopefully vodafone will sort it out quickly.

Landshark2007
6: Helper
6: Helper

There is a load of stuff about BT Infinity and Sure Signals, but little to give you any idea where to look. 

Firstly, I have posted a long diatribe of issues that may help you here:

WARNING - If you need Sure Signal and are going to...               

Although this surrounds the VSS1, there are aspects to this that affect all SS devices. Most of this is down to routing issues in BT's network that may deny VPN tunnels being created. To get this fixed, you need to get hold of someone in BT who knows what they are doing, and you have my blessings with that going forward (took me nearly a year). 

Bottom line with this is that if the SS worked with a copper-based broadband service, and it s not working with the fibre-based service, it is either the port settings on your hub are incorrect (see my earlier link) and/or BT has not set up the routing correctly. You can sort out the port setting on your own if you read my post, but as for the BT back office stuff, you just have to keep pestering them to sort it out. 

Wherever I lay my '@', that's my 'ome.

Your thread there is one of the gazillion I have been through, thanks Landshark. I've been through vast piles of information and lots of A vs E megabattles, MTU size mismatches, yadda yadda. I am slowly giving myself up to the idea that it just aint gonna work but I maintain a glimmer of hope.

I have not come from a working to a non-working setup. I only recently purchased the VSS, and the chap in the shop certainly didn't warn me that it doesn't work if you are foolish enough to want a decent internet connection (see fibre). It's not like BT Infinity suddenly snuck up and took everyone by surprise, a little forward planning perhaps?

Anyway, hoping a Vodafone tech might check on their end for me.

OK, before giving up hope, you need to to have a quick chat with BT's people as there are very specific settings needed by the SS that you are in no position to sort out. Specifically, you need to ask BT to confirm that your username (the one in the router) is able to route VPN data to Vodafone for the SureSignal to work. This is NOT necessary for copper-based connections, but is necessary for fibre as it routes completely differently. 

Now I understand that that may not make much sense, but trust me I went through a LOAD of pain about this very issue before I got an embarrassed grunt from BT who admitted that it was their problem. That was only after I had torn my hair out with all that you have gone through to date. 

A "quick chat" with BT, that's a wonderfully optimistic idea.

Thank you, I will give it a go.

If I could only convey the amount of pain I had to go through to get the fibre-based service working with Sure Signals you would never believe it. However, to get to someone who is knowledgeable within BT you do have to be dogged about it. The drones on the front-line caller desks (usually located in outer Bangalore) cannot help you. You need to insist on the issue being flagged up with BT's Network Services group. This is based in Scotland so if you cannot get to that location, insist on being given that access. BT Scotland is the ONLY place that deals with fibre issues, and don't let anone tell you otherwise!

Please take a look at our post here.