Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal version 3 - Random Reboots

cuthbeidatacard
4: Newbie

Hi, My sure Signal works fine and then randomly reboots during about 30% of calls. Whilst rebooting, the power light flashes which doesn't match any of the light sequences shown on the troubleshooting page. I have undertaken diags which are in my other posts.

How can I progress this issue? What information is required? Thanks

21 REPLIES 21

Retired-Kay
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi cuthbeidatacard,

Please supply the following information;

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

Kay

Hi Kay,

Thanks for responding. This is exactly the same diags I have run for my previous problem. Details again

12:44Mbps down, 0.78Mbps up 34ms response

Line B* 32ms response

IP 109.224.136.163

1     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.202.1
  2    31 ms    31 ms    30 ms  lns3.uan.thn.uk.murphx.net [89.145.254.71]
  3    31 ms    31 ms    31 ms  uan-er1.uan.thn.uk.murphx.net [89.145.254.65]
  4    32 ms    32 ms    31 ms  ge2-6-1.cr1.core.thn.uk.murphx.net [89.145.254.1
61]
  5    31 ms    31 ms    31 ms  te2-3.cr05.tn5.bb.gxn.net [62.72.139.97]
  6    36 ms    35 ms    35 ms  ldngw1.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.209]
  7    34 ms    35 ms    35 ms  85.205.116.6
  8     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.

SN 40132322617

I'll be honest, I can't see why a network fault would cause a reboot. I expect the logs on the server are a lot more telling (or should be, assuming logging is verbose for each SureSignal).

Thanks

Just to add to this, last night it switched the error of the day to "Power - flashing, Internet - solid orange, In Service - off, In Use - off". It is stuck in this state. I will reboot it now

Hi cuthbeidatacard, 

The new light sequence suggests the Sure Signal isn't active and has failed to authenticate on our network. 

I've done a resync for you, please do another reset to complete the process. 

Let us know how you get on. 

Kay

Hi,

I have reset and still have the same two issues

1) Random reboots during calls - My expectations is that this isn't related to a network issue, as that doesn't make any sense. It is much more like a software bug causing a reboot. Question - Does it create any log entries on reboot? I'm assuming it creates log on the servers?

2) Fails to authenticate to the network. I assume it goes into this state after a period of trying to authenticate? How long is this period? 1 min, 5 min, 10 min, 60 min? On the basis it has been working before, on the same IP address, I don't know why it would not keep trying forever, or at least for days / weeks.

I have attached an uptime graph generated from a host (RIPE Atlas probe) attached in the exact same way as the SureSignal. As you can see, it has seen a few spikes in latency, but no periods with packet loss. In short, my ISP connection is working fine.

How can we progress this?

Thanks

Hi cuthbeidatacard

Thanks for coming back to us.

Can you test the Sure Signal at a different location altogether? Maybe around a friends house? This will help determine if the issue lies with your ISP or the SS.

Thanks

Sukhi

I actually swapped the hardware on Friday anyway. I will see how it runs for the next week.

Hi,

My replacement Sure Signal does not appear to suffer from Random Reboots, but it does still suffer from the "fails to authenitcate to the network issue". As before, once it fails, it never recovers until rebooted.

As before, I have attached a graph showing Internet connectivity from my home Internet connection, which shows no drops or loss of service.

I will try and test on another ISP connection, but that isn't ideal, as I will be without any signal why I do. The error does not happen at a specific time, so I will need to leave it for more than 24 hours.

Again, can I ask that someone checks the logs from my SureSignal? Assuming it generates logs of course.

Thanks

Hi cuthbeidatacard,

If you can get back to us with your new serial number, we can check this for you. :Smiling:

Thanks,

Jenny