Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal vs Orange Signal Boost App

rhodeon
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I've been using my Vodafone Sure Signal for 3 years now with mostly good results. Sometimes needs rebooting almost daily which is annoying. This is for use with both mine and my wife's personal Vodafone phones.

Anyway, just got a new work phone which has Orange Signal Boost on it. Works like a charm except when I turn it on it causes my Sure Signal to stop working - leaving it with just the top green light on. Any ideas on what I can look at to try and resolve this conflict?

Thanks,

Steve

10 REPLIES 10

allegoricus
13: Advanced Member

Hi Steve,

To put it bluntly, you have a Sure Signal that's working, and you're introducing another device tou your network that stops it working, right?

My own view is that, unless your emploiyer pays for your home Internet connection, I would leave the Orange phone in ordinary 3G mode and not turn on Signal Boost. It's not your problem.

If it's important to your employer that you are able to use the Orange phone from home, and this isn't possible without Signal Boost turned on, I would suggest that he consider providing an extra Internet connection for you, with its own WiFi router..

Your mileage may, of course, vary. :smileywink:

Peter

The Sure Signal connects to Vodafone via a VPN, If the Orange service is setting up another VPN your router/broadband may not support 2 concurrent VPNs so you will have to use either one or the other.

However, as this is down to your broadband supplier or router manufacturer you will need to ask them.

Or the Orange service may be using up so much bandwidth that there is not enough room for the Sure Signal to run

@chorotega wrote:

The Sure Signal connects to Vodafone via a VPN, If the Orange service is setting up another VPN your router/broadband may not support 2 concurrent VPNs 

The Orange service does indeed create a VPN (with very similar traffic to the SS VPN), so this explanation does sound quite plausible...

Retired-PaulE
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi rhodeon, 

The Orange Signal Boost app runs on your Wifi and uses your home broadband to generate network coverage in much the same way as your Sure Signal does, just without the unit.

We can't support this or offer a workaround for it as it's a 3rd party app, but it's my guess that there's not enough bandwidth for you to run both, as chorotega has said.

It might be worth running a speed test to see what sort of speeds you're achieving, but i think it will be a case of one or the other, not both.

Paul 

Thanks all for the replies. My 8MB (ish) speed goes down to just under 4 when both devices running and I do a speed test so should be more than enough as the Sure Signal worked when I had less than 1MB.

I'll look into the VPN thing as that is an interesting angle.

Another alternative could be to get work to buy me an Orange Femtocell and move both my own and my wife's accounts over :smileywink:

Steve.

Good luck with that. EE femto is sent out in open mode so all your neighbours will be using your bandwidth too!

That doesn't sound good. There's no way of limiting it?

Not according to the little details they have released. I have seen posts online confirming that its in open mode as opposed to Vodafone's closed mode though.