cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal with BT Home Hub 3 - WiFi interference?

James-W
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have a BT Home Hub 3 and have been successfully using this with my home laptop and PCs and company laptops (vodafone corporate build (IL2) and IL3 machines).  Have purchased VF sure signal to allow reliable home working with vodafone corporate mobile (Samsung S3) as reception has declined over recent months.

When it's working all is fine BUT.....  the sure signal goes into fault mode with indications of wireless interference.  After a period it re-sets itself and all is well again.  I've relocated the sure signal to the extent the ethernet cable supplied allows - no change in symptoms.  Bought a 5m cable this weekend, relocated to the extent of cable (so it's now over 4m away straight line distance) - no change in symptoms.  Next step will be shielding or buy a 10m cable....  but where do I stop?  ....  any ideas or alternate suggestions?

8 REPLIES 8

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi James-W,

We are currently investigating an issue with BT and the Home Hubs but I don’t think that you are being affected by this.

From what you have said it sounds like the unit could be overheating for some reason. When the problem occurs, is the unit hotter than normal?

As you’ve now moved it away from the router, it shouldn’t have any problems but as you are we will need to look at other possible issues.

Can you confirm if it is in a well ventilated area?

James

Hi James

the SS box is with the router in the loft but is mounted in free air away from floor and roof.  It is certainly warm to the touch but not hot and there's no discernable difference when it's running or when it's in fault condition.

I've had the problem described both in the daytime when sunny (when ambient temp is higher in the loft than the house) and in the evenings in wetter weather (when the loft is colder than the house).  It also doesn't appear to relate to time on an active voice call (though as my phone also takes email this may be less relevant).  There are only 2 phones enabled for the SS - mine and my son's - but this problem was happening before he came home from uni so don't think the load of 2 phones is an issue.  I'm using a good quality ethernet cable so that shouldn't be causing the SS box to work hard.  So unless there's a matching problem (impedance) with SS/ethernet cable/home hub I'm scratching my head.

What are the ambient temp limitations for the SS box?

James

Hi James-W, 

I think we need to get your Sure Signal in for repair as it's overheating.

Click here to get in touch with the team

Paul 

Hi

I have a SS3 and BT Home Hub 5 and the two devices seem to be casuing whfi connection issues with an iphone 4S and a Dell windows laptop.  These two devices will suddenly loose connection to the BTHH5 and to get them working again I need to power off and restart the BTHH5 or, as I've just discovered, disconnect and restart the SS3.  Everything then seems to work OK for a while until the connection is again lost and the device won't reconnect without going through the reset process. Couriously, my Sony Xperia phone and my sons Macbook do not loose the connection???

As I've seen suggested in the forum, I've tried moving the SS3 away from the BTHH5 but that doesn't seem to make any difference (currently about 3 meters apart).  I also not the SS3 runs very warm - "hot" might be overstating it.  I have read on the forum that overheating can be an issue with SS3's but since all the lights are on and a "reset" gets everything working again, it would not appear that I have a faulty SS3.

The SS3 has certainly fixed my phone reception issues but I could really do without the nuisance of having to reset it virtually everyday to fix the wifi problems.

Be grateful if anyone can offer some help.

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@RickN1996 That's strange to hear. Our Sure Signal shoudn't impact devices within your house from losing Wi-Fi connection. 

Are you able to test the Sure Signal at a different location? We'll then be able to determine if it's an issue with the Sure Signal, or your router. 

Hi

I've moved the SS3 into another room but still have the problem.  Both the iphone 4S and my windows 10, Dell laptop cannot connect to the wifi again.  I re-booted the SS3 and both devices now connect again.

It would appear to me that the SS3 interferes with the wifi for these two devices but it doesn't affect the connection to my Sony Xperia phone or an mac notebook.

Hope you can help.

Thanks

Rick

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@RickN1996

The Sure Signal shouldn't impact on the Wi-Fi in your home, or the devices that connect to it. It uses the broadband connection to provide a 3G network.

If possible, try disconnecting the Sure Signal for 24 hours and see if this issue still happens.

Hi

Well since I've moved it to another room, the iphone and the laptop have not lost the wifi connection.  It's too soon to know if this will turn out to be a permanent fix but it looks as though it might be. 

If not, I'll try your suggestion.

Many thanks