Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal with Sky Broadband

andyhurst1967
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have just received a new VSS-3 and connected it to my Sky Router (Sagem router), also registered it correctly via "myvodafone".

However it doesnt seem to work, the red power light is on and the internet & signal white lights are on.  But the handset light isnt on and the unit is not working.

I contacted Vodafone support this afternoon and they reset my VSS-3 and i turned off and back on my 3G signal on both my phone and iPad, but still is not working. 

I was then told that i need to ensure certain PORTS are open on my router.  I contacted SKY and they informed me that they dont support this issue.

Can anyone help me please?

Regards

Andy

69 REPLIES 69

I'm having the same problem.  I've got the power light on but nothing else.

I've tried this thing with Virgin Media and Sky but neither has worked.

Your speed test results from http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2811973792

Your ping test results from here.http://www.pingtest.net/result/83263995.png  29ms Jitter 1ms
Your external IP address from here .2.219.23.211
The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number: 40112302829

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  SkyRouter.Home [192.168.0.1]
  2    26 ms    24 ms    23 ms  02db17fe.bb.sky.com [2.219.23.254]
  3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  4    32 ms    31 ms    31 ms  02780a22.bb.sky.com [2.120.10.34]
  5    31 ms    32 ms    30 ms  ip-84-38-37-227.easynet.co.uk [84.38.37.227]
  6    31 ms    30 ms    32 ms  bu4.gr10.telon.uk.easynet.net [89.200.135.145]
  7    58 ms    37 ms    81 ms  AMDGW1.arcor-ip.net [195.69.145.123]
  8    44 ms    47 ms    47 ms  92.79.213.137
  9    58 ms    58 ms    58 ms  85.205.116.2
 10     *        *        *     Request timed out.

I'm aware I need to open ports 8, 50, 123, 500, 4500 on TCP and UDP; I've tried doing this through the router setup and using 'Simple Port Forwarding' but when I try the port tester everything fails and my Sure Signal isn't working.

Vodafone say Sky will do this, but they won't, and I have to do it myself.

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Adam2K,

Have you had this Sure Signal working previously? I've checked this serial number and it says there's been no contact now for 18 months.

Also, can you re-run the traceroute as step 3 timing out means we can't get the full picture of what's happening.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I plugged my Sure Signal straight into a Virgin Media cable modem just after I bought it and it worked.  I plugged my computer into the Sure Signal but I could only use either one or the other, which seemed to change with which one was booted first.  I bought a router and tried it through that but it didn't work, I tried changing my ISP to Sky but that hasn't worked.

I've run the trace route a few times but step 3 keeps timing out.

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Adam2K,

Thanks for getting back to us.

The traceroute looks fine and even though it times out on hop 3 it does continue and hits our server so it’s nothing to worry about.

As you say that it will work as long as nothing is connected to the network, it sounds like either a port issue or firewall issue.

Do you know if the Sure Signal has been assigned an IP address by your router?

It is possible that the router is allocating the same IP address to multiple devices causing it to fail.

If it’s been given an IP address can you make sure this IP address is in the DMZ or try to lower or switch off any firewall that is active on your router?

When you’ve done this, reset your Sure Signal and let me know how you get on.

James

Hi James,

I don't know to be honest.

As i said I've run a port test which says the required ports are closed.

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Adam2K,

Thanks for getting back to me.

The next step is to try and get these ports opened so we can make sure the Sure signal connection can be established.

You can see specific instructions on how to do this with you router here and the ports you need to open are here.

James

I'm aware I need to open ports 8, 50, 123, 500, 4500 on TCP and UDP; I've tried doing this through the router setup and using 'Simple Port Forwarding' but when I try the port tester everything fails and my Sure Signal isn't working.

Vodafone say Sky will do this, but they won't, and I have to do it myself.

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Adam2K,

We're still not seeing that Sure Signal connecting with the server in well over a year. Can you try de-registering, waiting an hour and then re-registering for me? This should help refresh things and may clear whatever is stuck in the system.

With regard to the port settings, we don't have the instructions or the training for setting up the myriad of routers out there, which is why we have to advise speaking with the provider or manufacturer for guidance. 

Dave

OK I've deregistered and reregistered and it still doesn't work.

I've tried opening the ports as per the instructions given by Sky, and tried using 'Simple Port Forwarding' but that still doesn't work.  The test program they give you shows the ports are still closed.

Sky WILL NOT offer any assistance on opening ports.

It seems unless you have a degree in computer science this "Sure Signal" is a waste of money.

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Adam2K, 

In the majority of cases, the Sure Signal will successfully work as a plug and play device. Checks like open ports would not be necessary.

I can see you de-registered and re-registered as suggested, however it appears to have been just a few minutes apart rather than an hour.

To help it pick up, I've done a fresh resync. To complete this procedure, can you do another reset for me?

If this fails, are you able to try the Sure Signal on a different connection? This can help to rule out a faulty box if it works there.

Dave