Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal won't connect to my phones

cwilliams996
2: Seeker

A week ago my Sure Signal stopped connecting to my phones, as a result of which I have no signal. Nothing changed with ISP, Router, PC or anything else. The Sure Siganal has been reset several times, allegedly re-synched twice, and had cables unplugged for 20 minutes. Answers I have been given by Vodafone vary, and have been contradictory depending who I spoke to. As a business user the lack of a signal at home is unnacceptable - and not what I pay for. Vodafone has so far given me 2 choices - either pay for a replacement Sure Signal myself, or leave and pay penalty charges in order to go to a service provider who will allow me to use my phones. 'Sure Signal' it's not, and as for Vodafone for business - don't even go there! Is there anybody who is able to help, and interested in doing the right thing (apart from Offcom)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

When on a call the third light flashes. Before the problem it used to be on solidly all the time. I'm not worried what it does as long as it keeps working

View solution in original position

19 REPLIES 19

Still the same. No signal on either phone in the vicinity of my Sure (?) Signal

Still no change. As the common denoninator with all thes Sure Signal faults is Vodafone, surely it's worth them looking at what they have done centrally to disrupt service to so many users - and reverse it! They are still happy to take all my money for providing a reduced service

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi cwilliams996,

Thanks for confirming. I've checked our systems and can see your Sure Signal was last on our network last night just after 9pm. 

You mention in the reply to my post here that you'd already tried the troubleshooting guide but we've yet to see the result of your Traceroute and other details requested in the template. If you've posted these on another thread, can you copy them here for me?

Cheers, Ben

Hi

I can't see any template in the troubleshooting guide. Can you please send me what I have to do next. I may be simple, but when all was working one minute and not the next, and all the other people posting on the forum are experiencing the same when we have changed nothing, then surely something has chenged at Vodafone. You say my VSS has connected with your server, so why has it suddenly stopped connecting with phones and SIMs it has so far been happy with.

Please reply of details of what I have to try next

Thanks

Think I found it:

Speed Test:

Ping 18ms

Download speed 4.73 Mbps

Upload speed 0.99Mbps

Ping 24ms

Jitter 1ms

Grade B*

External IP 91.192.136.98

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601] Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Chris>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    92 ms    99 ms    99 ms  O2WirelessBox.lan [192.168.1.254]   2     *        *        *     Request timed out.   3     *        *        *     Request timed out.   4    23 ms    23 ms    34 ms  10.1.3.214   5     *        *       24 ms  10.1.4.241   6    26 ms    26 ms    27 ms  lndgw2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]   7    25 ms    25 ms    25 ms  85.205.116.10   8     *        *        *     Request timed out.   9     *        *        *     Request timed out.  10     *        *        *     Request timed out.  11     *        *        *     Request timed out.  12     *        *        *     Request timed out.  13     *        *        *     Request timed out.  14     *        *        *     Request timed out.  15     *        *        *     Request timed out.  16     *        *        *     Request timed out.  17     *        *        *     Request timed out.  18     *        *        *     Request timed out.  19     *        *        *     Request timed out.  20     *        *        *     Request timed out.  21     *        *        *     Request timed out.  22     *        *        *     Request timed out.  23     *        *        *     Request timed out.  24     *        *        *     Request timed out.  25     *        *        *     Request timed out.  26     *        *        *     Request timed out.  27     *        *        *     Request timed out.  28     *        *        *     Request timed out.  29     *        *        *     Request timed out.  30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

Hi cwilliams996,  

Thanks for the information; your speed test and ping test are fine.

Can you confirm your external IP address please? The one you’ve quoted shows as being registered to a company in the Ukraine.

Your traceroute shows drops on both hop 2 and 3 which may cause the Sure Signal connection to drop.

Checking your serial number shows it connected to our servers this morning at 01:35, are you still unable to get a connection?

To make sure your unit is as up to date as possible, I’ve just resynced it.

So that the resync completes, can you perform a factory reset:-

• Hold down the reset button until all the lights show/flash (about 30 seconds)
  • Keeping the reset button held down, remove then re-insert the power lead
  • Once all the lights display, release the reset button
  • The Sure Signal will come online in about an hour

Let me know how you go on.

Thanks

Andrew

Hi. Both my phones now show a full signal. However The VSS still shows only 3 lights, so I've no idea what's going on. I am not going to touch anything now until it faults again, in case the signal never comes back next time!

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

If you make a call, does the final light come on?

It is off by default unless you are on a call.

When on a call the third light flashes. Before the problem it used to be on solidly all the time. I'm not worried what it does as long as it keeps working

cwilliams996

No signal at home now for 8 days. No positive help coming from Vodafone. Being self employed this is more than just inconvenient. In the meantime an alternative is resting my phone vertically against a sheet of foil, facing the mast supplying my signal. Only gets 1 to 2 bars - but better than nothing and certainly better than my Sure Signal!