Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure signal 2. Intermittent failure with single, solid red light

GKB
4: Newbie

Hi,

The box will work fine for a few days, then zilch. Of course, I only realise it's frozen again, when I need to make a call.

So, disconnect the power, wait 2 minutes, reconnect the power, wait varying lengths of time, then it works ... for a few days, then repeat.

I'm using BT HomeHub 3.

A Vodafone operator has resynced for me, confirmed connection and a few days later ... same again.

Any ideas please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Success ... (probably).

SS has worked perfectly now for a little over 1 month with no resets needed. I'm guessing Vodafone have now sorted this?

Thanks. :Smiling:

View solution in original position

28 REPLIES 28

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi GKB,

If the VSS was faulty we'd repair rather than exchange it.

We asked you to try it on another broadband supply such as a friend or relative's house to see if it's able to establish and maintain a connection or if it behaves the same way.

If it's still the same we'd send it for repair. If it's ok and doesn't drop the connection, the VSS isn't faulty and we'd have to assume a setup issue.

Is it possible for you to try this? If not then please click the link below to send the VSS for repair.

Vodafone repairs

Thanks,

LeeH

Hi Lee, Thanks for that.

I'm sorry but I can't check the unit elsewhere.

Whoever tests it (shop or repairer) is going to have to leave it plugged in for at least 3 or 4 days. Not sure they'll do that or just replace the innards. We'll see. I'll pop it round to my nearest Vodafone store.

Thanks for your advice. The forum is very useful.

Regards,

ps. I read somewhere that others with a similar problem have sorted it by using a switch between the VSS and router. I'll let you know how I get on.

Early (5) days but my SureSignal has lasted longer this time than at any time since the problem first started.

The solution for me was as follows using a BT HomeHub 3 and VSS v2.

1. browse to HomeHub http://bthomehub.home/html/settings/a_vpn.html and select Port Clamping enable, then apply.

2. connect the VSS to a dumb switch, I've used a NetGear GS501.

3. connect the switch to the HomeHub.

Port clamping enable on its own didn't work but as it was enabled, I left it alone. 

I'll post again in a few weeks to confirm but I'm optimistic. GL.

Unfortunately my optimism was premature. The VSS has failed twice now (showing a single red light).

The last time was really irritating. Normal lights (one red and one white) showing then I try to use my mobile and get a no signal message. The VSS then changed to a single red light showing as I watched

With hindsight, I wonder whether it was truly working when the normal lights were showing?

Back to the Vodafone shop with it for repair / replacement. If as seems likely, it's an on-going problem with BT HomeHub 3s, I would hope that Vodafone agree to a refund. I'm (just) within warranty but TBH, it hasn't worked properly for a long time. I'll post with an update.

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi GKB,

We are currently looking at an issue with the Sure Signal and BT infinity here.

Unfortunately we don’t have any further information at the moment.

James

power1956
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

same here, its rubbish.

Hi power1956, 

Not everyone is experiencing this issue. If you'd like us to look into this further for you please post the information that Lee requested in post two and we'll be happy to help. 

Thanks, 

Kay

Success ... (probably).

SS has worked perfectly now for a little over 1 month with no resets needed. I'm guessing Vodafone have now sorted this?

Thanks. :Smiling:

Aaaaaaaaaaaargh.

It's gone again. So, back to waiting for techs to sort. Do we have a timescale for fix?

Thx.

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi GKB,

Has this gone back to the same issue as before?

If yes it would suggest that the problem could be with the Internet provider (which is being investigated)

The only way to find out for sure would be to test it on a different connection for a couple of days.

I can see that the Sure Signal has updated this morning and looks to be working fine now.

James