Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure signal Moved?

jororiggs
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I have just received a text message from Vodafone stating they have received an indication that my Sure Signal has moved and I should enter the new postcode. 

The Sure Signal has not moved an inch!  I've checked my account and the postcode is correctly shown.

I am confused.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi jororiggs,

You don’t need to worry as this is a common issue caused by an update with your Internet Service Provider.

All you need to do is log into you’re my account that is registered as the owner of the Sure Signal, change the postcode to another Postcode, select save and then change this back and select save.

This will then update the profile and stop these messages for you.

James

If you have any comments on how I have answered your query today, please complete our short feedback survey.

View solution in original position

20 REPLIES 20

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi jororiggs,

You don’t need to worry as this is a common issue caused by an update with your Internet Service Provider.

All you need to do is log into you’re my account that is registered as the owner of the Sure Signal, change the postcode to another Postcode, select save and then change this back and select save.

This will then update the profile and stop these messages for you.

James

If you have any comments on how I have answered your query today, please complete our short feedback survey.

I have the same problem as the OP.

My ISP (Virgin Media) uses dynamic IP addressing and the addresses they allocate can be assigned to widely varying geographic areas (e.g. I live in HA4, but my current IP is assigned to Covent Garden in London).

Does this mean that every time I re-boot my modem (and therefore get a new IP address) I will have to log-in to the Sure Signal, change the post code and then change it back again, to stop being pestered with SMS messages by your system?

I understand why you have this system (to remind folks to update their postcode for emergency services), but it clearly doesn't take account of ISP behaviour and asking people to log-in and swap postcodes potentially every time they reboot their broadband is far from satisfactory.

Geoff

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Goof,

It is possible that this could potentially happen however, do you reset your router a lot?

Also there are two other triggers within the Sure Signal that cause this message to be sent.

Unfortunately if you do get this message then the only thing that you can do is log in and change your postcode and then change the postcode back to update the location profile.

Alternatively you can also request a static IP address for your router from your ISP.

James

So is sure signal unsuitable for dynamic ip address's and only suitable for fixed ip addresses? It really is a shame I didn't see it when making the purchase 😞 What is worse is the text messages and emails come through during the night around 3 am I've now set them as spam and blocked them both but isn't there a better way of doing this?

Hi texecom48,

It works with both a static IP and dynamic IP setups.

The majority of internet providers will only allocate a static IP address for business customers.

The messages are triggered by moving the Sure Signal or by the internet provider updating the IP range. (this is usually to auto renew every so often)

The only way we can notify people of this is either by text or email and I’m sorry about the time of day that these are being sent.

James

Will the sure signal continue working if I ignore the texts and emails? Or will it be shut down if its location isn't updated? technical support have previously switched the reminder texts and emails off in the past.
I switch off my broadband router and sure signal when I'm out along with many items to save energy.

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Texecom48,

We recommend that you update this as soon as possible as it can cause problems if the postcode isn’t updated.

Your location would also be needed by the emergency services.

Thanks,

Jenny 

So i need to update it every time it sends the message? Wow is it just me or is that a pretty poor show?? because i'd be doing that every 24 hours...
Previously ive had your tech guys stop the messages but this only seems to stop them for a while. And since your call centre is off shore i get told it will be rectified in 72 hours and they refuse to put me through to your department, which seems like a way of saying go away beause it doesnt stop the messages at all?!

Should i try and get myself better mobile signal instead maybe?

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Switching off your router is not a good idea as it affects the speed you get on your broadband line. The router is designed to be left on constantly and the internet connection gradually increasess as the stability of the equipment is established. 

Jeffkinn_Sig.png