Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure signal V1 stopped working

Graham14
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

After 4 years of no problems my sure signal v1 has stopped working. Lights 1 and 2 come on solidly, then light 4 flashes for a while and then all lights go off. It then repeats this process. I have tried resetting it but still the same. My internet connection is fine. Can anyone help? I live in a very remote location so I could really do with it working again.

11 REPLIES 11

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

Look at My-sure-signal-has-stopped-working-what-should-I-do.

and the section 'issue not listed' in Here

It may also be worth trying a different power supply with the SureSignal (Version 1 & 2 ), as there have been some reports of replacement power supplies solving the issues. Even if lights / power are showing. They are available on eBay for around £10.

From member cineriv "But firstly, have a look around for a suitable unit with a 12 Volt output @ around 1.5Amp capacity that you could 'borrow' to prove the fault. Suitable units can be found on external hard drives, monitors, printers, routers etc.etc."

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Many thanks, I'll see if I can find a different power supply and see if that solves it.

BandOfBrothers

You are welcome. 

Hope that helps. 

If not then do please check out the links. 

Best of luck. 

Current Phone  >

cineriv
16: Advanced member

Hi Graham14,

The symptoms that you describe is definitely due to a degraded power supply as Lee has suggested.

Replacements can also be obtained from Amazon.

Here is a description of the fault and how this affects the operation of the Sure Signal (a bit technical in places).

The psu for Sure Signal is a fairly bog standard electrolytic capacitor filter unit.

Bear in mind that these PSU's are likely to be running 24/7 and do create an amount of heat ....... This heat over a period of time dries out the electrolyte hence reducing the capacitance to a level where the PSU can only provide enough power to enable the activation process (lights 1+2). This is enough for the VF server to activate the 3G signal (light 4). At this point the current requirement goes from a modest few hundred milliamps to approx. 1.2 Amps, this is when the PSU just gives up and the supply drops from 12 volts to around 6-8 volts with a heavy A.C. content which will briefly shut down the Sure Signal. As the PSU is no longer providing power, the Voltage will rise again to an acceptable level to allow the activation to start again until it reaches the 3G activation point and so on. We refer to this as cycling or looping.

I think Sagem didn't give enough thought to the design of the power unit and made it cheaply as possible. However, considering they are usually running 24/7 throughout the year, the life of these PSU's is generally 4-6 years.

The red herring with this fault is that the power light (Light 1) is always illuminated and never goes out!

Regards,

Mike.

Many thanks Mike! There are some really nice helpful people out there! :Smiling: The sure signal unit has suddenly started working again after not working for  24 hrs! I wonder if it could still do with a new power supply as its been on for four years? Maybe it's a sign it's on it's last legs and might be prone to overheating or cutting out?

Great advice.. had the same issue on my v1, changed the power supply this morning and now working again.

Regards,

Paul

BandOfBrothers

@wilkopaul wrote:

Great advice.. had the same issue on my v1, changed the power supply this morning and now working again.

Regards,

Paul

Good to hear you've remedied your issue from the help and support from the eforum. 👍🏻

Current Phone  >

cineriv

@ wilcopaul

Hi Paul,

That's good to hear that's it's worked for you, otherwise you would been directed to purchase a new Sure Signal.  :smileyfrustrated:

Regards,

Mike.

Hi, my sure signal was working fine until I turned it off as I was away for a few days. When I switched it back on there was the same problem with it constantly going through the cycles. After a while just the first two lights stayed on. Tried a new power supply and the same, just the first two lights stay on. The fourth doesn't reach the flashing stage. Tried resetting. Any ideas? Cheers