Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure signal & BT home hub

davidhb
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
I have had a VSS with four green lights and a BT home hub 3 for the last 4 years, suddenly this has stopped working after days on the phone to customer services I am told there is an issue with this set up and they are working to resolve this, can you update me if the situation has been resolved as I can find no direct reference on the website. I have been through a series of reboots, and checked the correct ports are open. My VSS will work if I stand within 3m of it beyond that it just drops out.
15 REPLIES 15

Thanks Dave - What confuses me is that it has been working for the past four year no problem then suddenly nothing. I have referred to the BT Website for port forwading and followed thier tutorial so the ports should be open hence why I have asked about a recommended website checker to ensure they are open. 

If I sit next to the box and make a call I have 1/2 bars strength the Green mobile light flashes as if it is connecting and I am able to make a call althought the signal is very poor and breaks up once I unplug the box I loose the signal and the call is droped. I made a call like this today 27.02.14@19.33 you may be able to confirm this via your server if a connection was registered.

Yes, the VSS is next to other electrical equipment as it has always been and has not changed postion or no other electrical equipment has been added or removed, I am unable to move it to a different location as the main telephone line (there are no extensions in the house as all the phones are cordless or mobile) is situated in the main electrical intake.

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi David,

You may be able to find more help on the port settings for your router on http://portforward.com.

Your Sure Signal connected to our servers yesterday at 19:41, not long after you made the call.

If the physical location of the device hasn’t changed, I can’t see this being a cause of the issue.

I’ve checked your serial number and can see that the firmware didn’t update when you reset the unit.

I’ve asked for this to be pushed out manually to you.

The process can a while to go through so, for the immediate future, don’t unplug or reset the Sure Signal.

Let me know how you go on.

Cheers,

Andy

Hi Andy - I have spent some time on the phone to BT and have checked the port forwarding is correct as per your post on 26.02.2014 this all seems fine. There is no change the VSS is still operating as it was before. I have just made a call 15.05 on 03.03.14 lasting 58 sec to voicemail which has connected via the VSS as I was within 3m of the box and the third green light flashed constantly, once I walk away from the VSS the signal drops and starts searching.

Did the Firmware update, as there is still no change, and do you have any other suggestions?

Many Thanks

David

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi David,

Thanks for taking the time to get this confirmed. Looking at your Sure Signal this end, I can see the update has also been added OK. 

Does moving the Sure Signal to another location in your home help? I've seen a few posts in recent months where this has helped Homehub customers as the router can interfere with Sure Signal use.

The last thing we can suggest is to try the Sure Signal on a different internet connection for an hour or two (like a friend or relatives). This will rule out a fault with your unit.

Many thanks, Ben

Hi Ben - I have tried moving the VSS as far as possible away from other equipment but I also took the box to a friends house and plugged it into their router and it performs exactly as it does at home which suggests its a fault with the VSS box. What are my options for replacing the Sure Signal Box seeing that my download and upload speeds are below 4mbps?

Thanks David

Retired-Ian_
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi davidhb,

Thanks for trying this for us.

We'll need to arrange a repair. You can find more about this here.

Although it shows mobile phones, the procedure is the same for a Sure Signal.

Thanks

Ian