Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure signal dropping connection

Alan1955
4: Newbie

The issue you’re experiencing: connection dropping continuously I have a second sure signal and this issue happens with both (40114637438 currently connected, 40114661628 not connected)

What light sequence you're seeing: lights go through the normal sequence and connection is made, calls have good strength then SS starts to go through the sequence again .....adfinitum. Connection usually not lasting more than 10 minutes

Your speed test results from 
here. Ping 21ms, Download 34.76Mbps Upload 1.74Mbps

Your external IP address from 
here. 86.180.207.121

Your Sure Signal serial number: 40114637438

The results of a traceroute. Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]

Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Advent-M201>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to 212.183.133.177 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 1 ms 2 ms 1 ms BTHomeHub.home [192.168.1.254]

2 * * * Request timed out.

3 * * 17 ms 31.55.187.197

4 129 ms 12 ms 12 ms 31.55.187.232

5 28 ms 17 ms 20 ms 195.99.127.166

6 13 ms 12 ms 12 ms 195.99.127.3

7 17 ms 18 ms 16 ms lndgw2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]

8 15 ms 15 ms 14 ms 85.205.0.86

9 * * * Request timed out.

10 * * * Request timed out.

11 * * * Request timed out.

12 * * * Request timed out.

13 * * * Request timed out.

14 * * * Request timed out.

15 * * * Request timed out.

16 * * * Request timed out.

17 * * * Request timed out.

18 * * * Request timed out.

19 * * * Request timed out.

20 * * * Request timed out.

21 * * * Request timed out.

22 * * * Request timed out.

23 * * * Request timed out.

24 * * * Request timed out.

25 * * * Request timed out.

26 * * * Request timed out.

27 * * * Request timed out.

28 * * * Request timed out.

29 * * * Request timed out.

30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

Port clamping activated on router

Port forwarding on router 

Router is plugged into BT master socket ground floor sure signal located at full length of power and ethernet cable away from any other electrical device. not possible to move sure signal to a higher level.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Apple_Fanboy
13: Advanced Member

Hi Alan

What version of Sure Signal are you using? The reason i ask is if you have a verwion 1 or version 2 i would suggest replacing the power cable as i have seen others having the same or similar issues where this hase resolved it.

Your internet looks fine with no reason for the dropping out and its odd that its happening to both unless your using the same power cord.

Thanks

John

View solution in original position

8 REPLIES 8

Apple_Fanboy
13: Advanced Member

Hi Alan

What version of Sure Signal are you using? The reason i ask is if you have a verwion 1 or version 2 i would suggest replacing the power cable as i have seen others having the same or similar issues where this hase resolved it.

Your internet looks fine with no reason for the dropping out and its odd that its happening to both unless your using the same power cord.

Thanks

John

Hi

The new power pack has been on for a couple of days and the Sure Signal v2  has only dropped the connection a couple of times and re-connects quickly. How on earth does the power pack affect the connection? It does not appear to lose power at any time, the red light is constant. I had never used the 2nd power pack as I just pulled the plug out of the 1st Sure Signal and reconnected to the 2nd. I had changed the Ethernet cable  previously but what inspired you to consider this as a potential issue? Unless it was the only thing left to change??

Anyway many thanks for the suggestion I hope to never have to come on this forum again.

Best regards

Alan

Hi Alan

Glad to hear its working or atleast better than it did before.

I will be honest im not completely sure why changing the powerpack works but a loose theory is that over time the power pack degrades lowing the power output to the sure signal. This drop causes the sure signal to reboot/drop connection.

Thanks

John

Update on new powerpack. The connection is held for much longer periods but is still dropping connection about 6 times a day for anything between 5 minutes and one hour. It always re-connects whereas with the old powerpack it was the otherway around being connected for about 6 times a day.

So, any other advice or suggestions will be appreciated.

ChazzD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Alan1955

I'm sorry to hear you're still having ongoing issues with this. 

Please try connecting your Sure Signal in another location, such as a friend or family member's house.

We'll then be able to determine if the problems are specific to your location or the Sure Signal itself.

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Alan1955 - The problem here could simply be that you’re trying to use two Sure Signals.

If they’re close and within each other’s range, this can cause problems. Any updates sent by us to your router, will often only be forwarded onto one of the devices.

The same can happen the other way round too – so when they’re both trying to connect, only one will make it to our servers.

I’m afraid we can’t guarantee that the second Sure Signal will work, whilst in the same area as the first.

Alan1955
Sorry Jenny I may have misled you the sure signals are not powered up at the same time I only got the second one because I was convinced there was something wrong with the first but both suffer the same dropped connection issue.

Alan1955
Hi apple-fanboy,
I tried the other power pack which is brand new still in the box and the re-connection time dropped to a minute or two rather than 10 minutes. I will monitor this for a few days and report back.
Many thanks for the suggestion.
Alan