Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure signal drops calls

Bengallienne
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
I have a v2 sure signal, which I have had for a couple of years now. Recently it has started dropping calls shortly in to the call, regardless of whether I am making or receiving a call. The two solid white lights suddenly go out, the call drops and the the two lights flash for a short period before the first light going solid again and my phone reconnects again. I never lose signal while not on a call. I have tried a factory reset as per the troubleshooting instructions and it has not helped. I have checked my bandwidth and appear to have plenty. Can you help me resolve this problem please? It is making my phone unusable at home.

Thanks in advance
28 REPLIES 28

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi wingco1,

Thanks for the extra information.

I can’t see anything that’s a cause for concern with your traceroute.

There are a few things we can try to see if we can isolate the reason behind the intermittent issue.

Can you try your SIM card in a different phone? If you do this, does the issue reappear?

If it does then the phone can be ruled out. If it doesn’t then I’d suggest a factory reset of the phone (remember to back up all your important information first).

Before you do either of the suggestions above, I’d like to make sure your Sure Signal is as up to date as possible, so I’ve just performed a resync for you.

To make sure the resync completes, can you perform a factory reset:-

• Hold down the reset button until all the lights show/flash (about 30 seconds)
  • Keeping the reset button held down, remove then re-insert the power lead
  • Once all the lights display, release the reset button
  • The Sure Signal will come online in about an hour

Let me know how you go on.

Thanks

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, have done the factory reset. I'll see what happens over the next couple of days before changing the SIM card. Before the reset my Galaxy S2 held the calls, but caused the SS 3g light to flash on call termination. My wife has a Galaxy Y, SS dropped her calls and the 3g light flashed for around a minute before becoming steady again.

I'll update again in a few days.

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi wingco1,

Let us know how you get on. :smileyhappy:

Dave

Hi Guys,

Good news and bad I'm afraid. The resynce seems to have cured my Galaxy S2 problem of causing the SS 3g light to flash when ending a call. The bad news is it hasn't stopped SS dropping calls from my wife's Galaxy Y. Calls are connected OK, then dropped within around 20 seconds causing both the 3g and phone light to flash. The SS takes around a minute for the lights to resume to normal.

I tried her SIM card in my Galaxy S2 and it worked OK, the call wasn't dropped. I tried my SIM in her Galaxy Y and the call dropped within 20 seconds, indicating that the problem is with the phone. This phone has worked with SS for quite sometime without problems.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi wingco1,

Do you see the call drop issue with the Galaxy Y when you’re away from the Sure Signal?

If you do, it may indicate that the phone is faulty.

I’d suggest you do a factory reset of the phone but remember to back up your important data first.

If this doesn’t solve the issue, you’ll need to send your phone for repair.

Thanks,

Andrew

Thanks Andrew. The phone is fine away from the SS. In fact I removed the number from the unit yesterday, and although it shows very little signal strength it has managed 6 calls this morning without dropping.

My wife has lost confidence in the phone as it also displays a number of niggling intermittent problems when in use. Unfortunately she can't upgrade until November this year, so I'm looking at ways to get her a different phone before then. She needs to keep her current number for business reasons.

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi wingco1,

If your wife is having a few issues with the phone, I’d definitely recommend a factory reset. Remember to back up all important information first.

If this doesn’t work for her and as long as the phone is still under warranty, the next step will be to send the phone for repair.

Thanks,

Andrew

Hi Andrew, she's lost confidence in the phone, plus the fact that being a Samsung it should be easy to backup via Kies. However in reality that isn't always the case. On three of my machines Kies backups work from my Galaxy S2, but Kies "stopped working" during many attempts to backup from her Galaxy Y.

I've got her a new phone so will see how that goes.

Well what a surprise. Brand spanking new Samsung Galaxy Mini 2 connects to sure signal, but drops calls after a short while. I must admit the calls are held for a longer time than the Galaxy Y. My Galaxy S2 doesn't have any problems at all.

I have removed the Mini 2 from sure signal, and the mini 2 has made and received calls without any problems. So the plot thickens. my S2 connects and holds calls without a problem, which suggests sure signal is fine. Two different galaxy phones connect via sure signal and calls are dropped. Both phones still drop calls with my SIM card installed. Both these phones hold calls when not connected via sure signal.

I'm baffled, how about you? :smileyfrustrated:

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi wingco1,

Strange...

Just a thought, are you using the same SIM card in the new phone? If so, are you able to swap it with one of the phones you know works to see if the problem follows the SIM or the handset?

Dave