Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure signal eating my broad band

t00grumpy
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, I have VM Vivid 200 and I am having trouble with my Sure Signal. When it's on and in line it sucks 110mbps from my 210Mbps that I get when it's not in line. I have unplugged the S/S and tested the line and I'm def getting 210. Plug it back in and I'm getting anywhere between 47Mbps and 97Mbps.

Is my S/S V3 faulty? I've seen other posts with other SS versions having the same issues?

Please help!!!!

12 REPLIES 12

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Hi there

I wouldn't say that it is necessarily faulty - it is just doing what it needs to do to stay online.  Although I have to admit that is a fair bit of bandwidth to be chewing through. 

PWIAC

Hi GM,

I think it's unacceptable. Most people don't even have 110 Mbps in the first place so if I was one of those people I'd be without any band width for anything else.

I'll wait for a VM tech to get on here to here what they have to say.

Grumpy.

drey_p

If I am not mistaken, it is designed not to use up all the bandwidth.  So if you have say 20 Mbps, it will only use 10 Mbps

PWIAC

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

I have BT Infinity and usually get around 24mps down speed and my SS works perfectly well.

I haven't conducted many speed tests with the SS unplugged but it cannot be eating up anywhere near as much as yours seems to be. I would thought that its bandwidth footprint was quite small.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Thanks for your input Jeffkin.

You get 24Mbps and they call it "Infinity"?? Wow!

Hurrah for Virgin Media up my street!!!!

I don't think it should be eating all of that band width at all. Still, maybe V/F tech will be able to shed some light.

Anyone know how long I can expect to wait for a V/F tech to come back on this??

Grumpy

jeffkinn

I'm quite a long way from the exchange - with normal ADSL I was only getting 2.

Sometimes I see in the 40's but not often.

There is no cable in this area at all.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

That's mega rubbish, I feel for you..

Being in a cable area we do take it for granted a bit i suppose.

jeffkinn
It's never stopped me from doing anything with multiple devices and downloads. The extra speed often has no impact as the speed of the Internet is usually dictated by the server you're connected to and not your own speed. It's like photo pixels - we are conditioned to think that 15 megapixels is better than 10 for instance. The reality is that it isn't unless you want to produce roadside billboards.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Why hasn't a member of the Tech team helped with this? I'm still waiting for some help!!