cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure signal keeps resetting. Calls going to answer phone.

Mistofalese
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, 

I purchased a new mobile phone in September and, because of signal problems with a previous network, decided to purchase a sure signal too. Since setting up the sure signal though, I've had numerous problems. The sure signal keeps on re booting at least once a day which obviously results in no signal. I have also had numerous messages left on my answerphone because my phone has no signal even though the sure signal appears to be working fine. I have picked up my phone to make a call on numerous occasions and the phone shows no signal. Although, if I ignore this and attempt to make the call anyway, the call will go through and the signal strength will go up to 4 or 5 bars. I have  also had calls cut out halfway through due to loss of signal. As you can imagine, this is all very frustrating. 

I have reset the sure signal personally at least 8 times and tried everything I can find on the forum to resolve this with no luck. 

My sure signal is in a well ventilated, unused socket about 9 feet away from the mobile so surely the signal strength should be excellent? Can someone please advise me further? 

6 REPLIES 6

Retired-Matt_Vo
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt, 

Thank you for your speedy reply to my problem. 

Speed test results: 

Ping 6ms   Download speed 92.80 Mbps  Upload speed 11.67 Mbps

Ping test results  
Line quality A    Ping 12 ms   Jitter 2ms   Packet loss 0%

IP address  82.18.129.32

Traceroute

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\kev>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 7 ms 5 ms 8 ms cpc2-nott18-2-0-gw.12-2.cable.virginm.net [82.18.128.1]
2 6 ms 5 ms 8 ms nott-core-2b-ae6-1116.network.virginmedia.net [86.28.83.249]
3 8 ms 9 ms 10 ms nrth-bb-1c-ae13-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.174.65]
4 9 ms 7 ms 8 ms nrth-bb-1b-ae11-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.174.109]
5 8 ms 12 ms 10 ms tele-ic-4-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.174.18]
6 32 ms 31 ms 17 ms ldngw1.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.209]
7 10 ms 13 ms 9 ms 85.205.116.2
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

C:\Users\kev>

Sure Signal serial number   40132733086

I hope this is the correct information requested and I look forward to your reply. 

Thanks again for your time. 

Kev 

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Mistofalese

Thanks for providing your Traceroute, everything looks ok. Your IP address is on our whitelist. Your speed test and ping test seem fine.

To make sure it's up to date on our network I’ve given the SS a re sync from our end, can factory reset to complete the process?

Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports.

-Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds.

-Once the lights come back on, release the button.

The Sure Signal will be back online in around 1 hour.

Thanks

Sukhi

Thank you Sukhi, 

I have attempted a reset although, after holding the button for 2 minutes, the lights on my sure signal hadn't changed. (ie you said they would go off and come back on again?) The SS did reset after releasing the button though so I'm hoping that everything has worked out? The SS doesn't appear to be constantly re booting anymore so I think that is a result. 

However, I am still losing signal on my phone. I have lost count of the amount of times I have picked up my phone to either check for missed calls or to make a call myself and it is showing the no service message. This obviously means I am still missing calls and text messages until the signal is restored which is easily accomplished by my making a call and then disconnecting again. I must have well over 200 calls to voice mail just to do this. As soon as I dial a number, the signal re connects and I have a full signal again. This always happens when I am at home with the phone left on my desk (ie using Sure Signal) so it's not being caused by moving between cells or signal being blocked by walls etc. 

Any ideas what may be causing this, maybe a setting on the phone itself? I have tried limiting the maximum speed to 3G so it's not looking for a 4G signal. 

Hmmm, I've just had a thought. The mobile phone is often left quite close to my wireless router. I suppose moving the wireless router away from my desk would definitely be worth a try! 😕 I'll give that a go and get back to you on that one. In the meantime, any ideas you may have would be gratefully received.  

As always, thank you for your time and efforts. I appreciate all of your help.

Kev

Nope, moving the wireless router away from the phone has made no difference. The phone is still losing signal. I've had to reset it 3 times since my last post so, in about 3 hours. 

It's very frustrating having a number that no one can call you on. The whole reason I bought a sure signal was to prevent this situation. 

If anyone has any ideas... 

Kev 

Hi Mistophalese,

We've seen a few people saying the light goes off after the release the button. The 30 seconds is the key thing.

Is there any link between the times it disconnects? For example, are you using a specific device like a laptop or games console on the same internet connection at the time?

Can you check that the Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) on the router is set to 1500? If it won't go that high set it to the highest available.

If possible, try the Sure Signal on a different internet connection as well, like a friend's or family members.

Dave