Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure signal not working again, red light only, won't reset

Ishbel
4: Newbie

Hi, am having more bother with sure signal box.  The last couple of weeks is has barely worked and when I try to reset it, I only get the solid red light .  I've posted details below, please advise.

Sure signal serial number - 40120239666

Speed test – ping 47 ms download 6.91 upload 0.36

PING TEST b* - PING 72ms – Jitter 4ms – unable to test packet loss

External IP - 86.138.37.99

Tracert

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]

Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     4 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  BTHomeHub.home [192.168.1.254]

2    38 ms    38 ms    40 ms  217.32.95.58

3    38 ms    37 ms    37 ms  217.47.211.193

4    47 ms    46 ms    45 ms  213.1.69.158

5    46 ms    46 ms    45 ms  31.55.165.102

6    46 ms    79 ms    45 ms  31.55.165.77

7   112 ms    45 ms    46 ms  31.55.165.107

8    81 ms    52 ms    54 ms  acc1-10GigE-11-2-0.mr.21cn-ipp.bt.net [109.159.2

50.78]

9    53 ms    55 ms    55 ms  core2-te0-13-0-15.ilford.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.

250.36]

10    53 ms    91 ms    53 ms  peer1-xe2-1-0.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.2

54.136]

11    59 ms    56 ms    58 ms  lndgw2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]

12    54 ms    53 ms    54 ms  85.205.116.10

13     *        *        *     Request timed out.

14     *        *        *     Request timed out.

15     *        *        *     Request timed out.

16     *        *        *     Request timed out.

17     *        *        *     Request timed out.

18     *        *        *     Request timed out.

19     *        *        *     Request timed out.

20     *        *        *     Request timed out.

21     *        *        *     Request timed out.

22     *        *        *     Request timed out.

23     *        *        *     Request timed out.

24     *        *        *     Request timed out.

18 REPLIES 18

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

Anything else on your network that could be hogging all of the bandwidth, and reducing what is available for the suresignal to below what it is happy with and it thus disconnects?

Could it be getting too warm?

Is it sharing an extension socket with a dozen other devices?

In instances where it connects and then randomly stops, it's hard to work out, but most often the local environment is involved rather than the route across the internet to vodafone

Really appreciate the suggestions.  I can't work out what it could be.  I've not moved it from where it's been since I've had it.  There has been nothing new introduced into the house that could be stealing it's bandwidth, I honestly can't think of anything that has changed with it.  When it did connect today, it was only for minutes and then was knocked back out again.  My phone is useless without it.  

I reset the sure signal again last night and went to bed leaving it going through it's flashing lights routine.  Got up this morning and saw the red steady power light and the internet light, both on and steady.  Happy days I though, all is well again.  However although it shows as it should, I'm getting no signal at all on the phone.  Can someone tell me if this is even connecting to yourselves?  Right now we've got 2 useless phones and 2  pointless contracts!

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Ishbel,

I’ve had a look at your Sure Signal and I can see that it connected to our services last night.

Are you still having problems?

If so, it may be that your Sure Signal is faulty.

To find out what you need to do in order to get this sorted take a look at our Vodafone Repairs Thread. This can be found here.

Thanks

Wayne

Hi Wayne

Thanks for replying.  There is no coverage in the house at all, although all lights are showing correctly.  I saw previously that repair costs were £65 (is this accurate) which is more than the SS2 cost in the first place.  If the SS connected with you last night, then I am going to try again to reset and see if it kicks back in at this end.  Would rather change providers than pay out every 2 years for a SS box just to get signal.  Will let you know if it connects. 

Hi Wayne

Please can someone clarify this all for me.  I've been using this box for over a year now, same broadband provider, same router, same everything.  Last night I called customer service, spoke to a woman who told me it should be working when I woudl go home and if it wasn't then probably faulty box.  Went home, working, made 1 call, ss immediately started it's solid red light and 2 flashing white lights (reset) routine then went back to solid red light again.  so today I called up - was apparently speaking to "higher tech team" who said that the box was fine and obviously a problem with my router.  I now have to go and open ports etc.  When I asked if this still wouldn't work then what should I do.  I've been told that it must be my router and would need to get a replacement.  So eform suggests box faulty, call last night suggests box faulty, call today says not sure signal problem.  How can I go about getting a repair if the people on the end of the phone tell me it's not the box.  I don't know what I can do if the open ports doesn't work.  I feel like I'm stuck in groundhog day.  Do I need to just buy a new box myself and then bill vodafone if it works?

Retired-Ian_
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Ishbel,

Thanks for the additional information.

The last contact was on Saturday at 18:47, with it being resynced at 17:53.  The system says that the Sure Signal was moved at 17:13 yesterday.

If the light sequence is correct then as Wayne indicated we may have to consider the repair option.

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian

thanks for the reply.  the sure signal was moved on the advise of the tech team,  they assured me it would work if tried in another router and postcode changed.  Of course it didn't.  I have no issues with the eforum who advised previously it seemed to be the box.  However trying to get a repair organised on the phone is a different matter.  I was assured last night that I would be getting a call today to organise this, I sincerley hope I do.  

Retired-Ian_
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Ishbel,

Thanks for your quick response.

I assume form your post that you called customer services and you're waiting for a call from them?

If you do need us to help you can find how to get in touch here.

Thanks

Ian