Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure signal not working since outage

Chotalia
4: Newbie

Hi

My sure signal (v2) has not worked since Saturday. I have called up 3 times now to try and get it fixed.

I called on Saturday and spoke to someone in technical support who asked me to do a master reset and they pushed a new firmware to my unit. He then said to wait for 6 hours and call back if it still didn't work. I waited till Sunday evening and it still didn't work.

I then called again on Sunday and was told my an agent that there was an outage and to wait upto 48 hours. I waited 4 days before calling back.

Yesterday (30th Oct) I called again and the agent said he was seeing dropped internet connections but we have not experienced any internet problems. He said they would make a change at their end and then after an hour to unplug the unit and then plug it back.

I did this and it is still not working. I really need this fixed as my wife is pregnant and due in 4 weeks and I need her to be able to contact me.

The sure signal was working fine up until Saturday. Then there was an outage and now my sure signal is not working.

How is this going to be resolved? Again, I stress that I need this working as my wife is pregnant and due in 4 weeks and I need her to be able to contact me. I think this needs to be fixed or replaced as the outage has caused my sure signal to fail.

Regards

Rakesh

11 REPLIES 11

Retired-Kay
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Chotalia,

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks,

Kay

As requested

ping: 27ms

download: 5.76Mbps

upload: 0.67Mbps

External IP: 176.248.16.118

Sure signal serial number: 40113702118

Trace route:

Traceroute has started…

traceroute to 212.183.133.177 (212.183.133.177), 64 hops max, 72 byte packets
 1  * * skyrouter.home (192.168.0.1)  3.161 ms
 2  * * *
 3  te2-0-0.ar8.hobir.isp.sky.com (89.200.135.174)  53.948 ms  91.797 ms  91.938 ms
 4  lndgw2.arcor-ip.net (195.66.224.124)  78.725 ms  72.702 ms  54.498 ms
 5  85.205.0.93 (85.205.0.93)  61.869 ms  66.460 ms  69.615 ms
 6  * * *
 7  * * *
 8  * * *
 9  * * *
10  * * *
11  * * *
12  * * *
13  * * *
14  * * *
15  * * *

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @Chotalia ,

Thanks for posting your results. Looking at your traceroute, it looks like your router is preventing a connection. 

Please open the following ports in your router settings:

Ports and Protocols:
8 – TCP/UDP (All routers)
50 – TCP/UDP (All routers)
53 – TCP/UDP (Virgin Super Hubs)
67 – UDP (Virgin Super Hubs)
68 – UDP (Virgin Super Hubs)
123 – UDP (All routers)
500 – UDP (All routers)
1723 – TCP/UDP (BT Home Hubs)
4500 – UDP (All routers)
33434 – 33445 – UDP (Virgin Super Hubs).

If your ISP are unable to give you instructions on port forwarding, you can find details for most routers here.

Thanks,

Ben

Hi

I've opened the ports as requested, restarted router and done a hard reset on sure signal. I get all the lights flashing for about 5 minutes and then just a steady power light. The green light at the back of the sure signal is flashing rapidly like it is transmitting data but after 24 hours it's still not working.

What next?

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Chotalia 

I can see that the Sure Signal has connected and is on the latest software.

Are you still experiencing issues?

As well as the ports above, please ensure these IP adresses icluded in your router settings:

IP addresses to be allowed on the router & firewall

• 183.133.177-179
  • 183.133.181-182
  • 183.131.128-191

I can see it's registered successfully, so once the above steps have been followed please perform a reset:

• Unplug the ethernet cable from the Sure Signal
  • Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports
  • Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds
  • Once the lights come back on, release the button
  • Plug the cable back in
  • Allow around one hour for the Sure Signal to come back online.

DaveCD

Chotalia
Hi

Still not getting anything. I don't understand as I have allowed any IP for those ports. I can't see where else I have to specify IP addresses to allow on my router. I have a sky hub (black) and sky are not very helpful when it comes to router settings.

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @Chotalia 

Unfortunately we're unable to provide support for third party equipment. Please contact Sky for further assistance.

Thanks,

Sukhi

Chotalia
My sure signal is now flashing for about 10 mins and then stops. Power light is steady and the other 2 are flashing. Then about 30 mins later it starts again. It's done this 3 times and now stopped doing it.

What does this mean? Please can I not have a CTRL+C CTRL+V answer. I'm fed up of those.

My SS has a static IP address and is on the dmz now so there shouldn't be any blocking from my side. Is my external ip on the whitelist? My public ip is 176.251.161.121.

This forum is full of people's SS not working since the outage so there must have been a change on your side. Up until the outage I had no problems with my SS. Please can you sort this out now otherwise my last option is to make a formal complaint and to get in touch with watchdog and trading standards.

Hi @Chotalia,

You'd need to add the port forwarding as advised by DaveCD. Sky will need to help you set this up as we can't offer advice on third party hardware.

Thanks,

Matt B