Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure signal not working with Sky broadband

Zarafa
4: Newbie

Hi

I changed my ISP on 15 March from BE Unlimited to Sky.  Unfortunately the Sure Signal hasn't worked since.  As I am still in the cooling off period I would be grateful if you could advise whether it will work or should I cancel my subscription.  After reading lots of messages on the forums and attempting to give the SS box a static ip address and configuring port forwarding but nothing has worked so I have returned everything back to their original settings.  I have included the details you have been requesting from other people experiencing problems.  I'd be grateful for any advice, thanks. 

Download speed 4.76mbps
Uploads speed 0.68mbps
Pingtest: Line Quality B* MOS: 4.33
Ping: 31ms
Jitter: 1ms
Packet loss: unable to test
Server: Milton Keynes Distance 50 miles
ISP: Sky Broadband 2.216.7.249
Sure Signal Serial Number: 21223459070
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Zarafa>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms SkyRouter.Home [192.168.0.1]
2 26 ms 25 ms 25 ms 02d807fe.bb.sky.com [2.216.7.254]
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 36 ms 31 ms 31 ms 02780888.bb.sky.com [2.120.8.136]
5 39 ms 31 ms 32 ms ip-84-38-37-144.easynet.co.uk [84.38.37.144]
6 31 ms 31 ms 31 ms bu4.gr10.telon.uk.easynet.net [89.200.135.145]
7 54 ms 60 ms 59 ms AMDGW1.arcor-ip.net [195.69.145.123]
8 64 ms 60 ms 58 ms 188.111.129.25
9 61 ms 61 ms 61 ms 85.205.116.6
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.

Kind regards

Jan

35 REPLIES 35

hiwakey
Nothing new on mine lately? Should I continue rebooting from time to time?

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Zarafa,

Your Sure Signal (VSS) connected to our servers last night at 19:48, do you now have a signal? If not, can you try the VSS in a different location (a friends or relatives house etc.)? This will help us identify where the root cause lies.

Hi hiwakey,

A reboot may help, but can you do a full reset:-

• Hold down the reset button until all the lights show/flash (about 30 seconds)
  • Keeping the reset button held down, remove then re-insert the power lead.
  • Once all lights display release the reset button.
  • The Sure Signal will come online in around 1 hour.

If this doesn’t help, can you try the VSS in a different house (a friend or relative etc). If it works at that location then it helps to identify the cause of the issue.

Let me know how you go on.

Thanks

Andrew

Hi

My phone connected at home to sure signal last night and stayed connected until this morning but I had to unplug the box to move it and it hasn't connected since, so this means that the sure signal box works fine.

Any advice welcome please.

Jan

hiwakey
@kay - when you say move it, do you mean move it within the house or move it to a neighbour's house?

Zarafa
Hi Lee

Unfortunately I still don't have a connection.

Jan

hiwakey
Hi Andrew,
My Suresignal is a V3 so doesnt have a power lead - just the passthru piggyback setup. Nor does holding down the reset button as you requested result in the behaviour outlined?
What is the correct way to do the reset I need?

Zarafa
Hi

I have plugged my old BE router into my new Sky router and I now have a full signal on my mobile phone. Can you please explain why it works on this configuration rather than directly plugged into the Sky router.

Jan

Retired-PaulE
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi there hiwakey, 

To reset a V3 Sure Signal, follow the steps below: 

• Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports.
  • Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds.
  • Once the lights come back on, release the button.
  • The Sure Signal will come online in around 1 hour.

@ Zarafa, changing back to your old router would suggest an issue with the Sky router that you're using - can you check the MTU settings:

Find the location of the MTU field. This varies depending on the make and model of router so you’ll need to hunt around for it.

Change the value of the MTU size to 1500

Log out of the router, this will usually result in a reboot.

In order to connect to your network and the Internet, the Sure Signal must be assigned an internal IP address by your Router. If your Router supports DHCP, this must be enabled. Doing so will enable the Router to assign an IP address to your Sure Signal automatically.
For detailed instructions on how to enable this, please consult your Router manual, or contact your ISP or Router Manufacturer.

If your Router or network configuration does not allow DHCP, then you will need to assign a static IP address to your Sure Signal's MAC Address, using your Router's configuration panel. Please consult your ISP or Router Manufacturer for instructions on how to do this. The MAC address can be found on the sticker at the back of the Sure Signal unit.

Can you retry the above and let me know how you get on? 

Paul 

Hi

The MTU was already set to 1500.  The DHCP is enabled.

I am becoming increasingly frustrated, can you please advise why people are experiencing connection problems when using a Sky router?

Retired-Kay
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi hiwakey, 

Have you tried the Sure Signal at a different location as previously mentioned? If so, please let me know the outcome. 

Zarafa, I'm afraid we can't say why it wouldn't be working with your Sky router. This is something you would need to contact Sky about as we know it's definitely not an issue with the Sure Signal. 

Thanks, 

Kay