Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure signal problem

Rbwindover
4: Newbie

Hi, my sure signal has been working fine and the last few days it is not picking up my phone, when I used to make a call the phone light on the box lit up and now it doesn't, I have tried a reset, the serial number of the box is 40120953456 please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Rbwindover,

It appears that your phone is losing connection and is unable to reconnect.

A seamless handover from the network to the Sure Signal isn’t a supported feature and there is no ‘fix’ for this, however toggling to airplane mode and back will resolve the issue.

Thanks,

Jenny

View solution in original position

160 REPLIES 160

Simon

Thanks for this.  I had hoped that you would be able to offer some advice.  What I was really looking for was clarification of the instructions in a previous post where one of your more helpful colleagues gave very good advice on what ports to open etc as well links to relevant, router specific, instructions.  If you guys don't supply that sort of information anymore in support of your products then that's a shame.  I wouldn't have thought that a Talk-Talk D-Link router was that uncommon- they do have 4.2 millon internet customers after all so, again, it's a shame that Vodafone is disenfranchasing them.  If Vodafone are unable to support their own products perhaps another poster has advice?

As to the registering/deregistering saga, I can assure you that my Sure Signal was registered and working at another address where I tested it before moving it to the place that I actually needed it.  At some point over the subsequent weeks it was de-registered and certainly not by me - so it's a fair assumption, that this probably happened somewhere within Vodafone.  Whether it was the tech support team or some orther part of the behmoth doesn't really matter to me.

So if you really can't help with this sort of problem I think it's time to return the Sure Signal and switch network providers.

Cheers

Lee

Retired-Kay
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi LC2014, 

We're unable to provide support for individual routers unfortunately. 

As it was working at an alternative location, we know there isn't an issue with the Sure Signal itself.

One thing to check with your internet service provider is that your router supports PPPoA. We don't support PPPoE. 

They'll be able to advise you how to change this option in the router settings. 

Thanks, 

Kay

beckytrux
2: Seeker

Hello there,

I've recently updated to BT Infinity and my sure signal v3 hasn't worked since. I have a flashing red light and the 4th light is solid orange. Help its driving me mad!

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @beckytrux

We have compatibility issues with some BT Infinity setups, especially those using a Business package or on a Homehub 3 router.

There's more about this here.

So we can rule out a fault with the hardware, please connect it at another location, on another ISP. You'll only need to test it for an hour or so at a friend or relatives.

Thanks,

Ben

HenryDavey

My Sure Signal (V1) has been playing up for the last 96 hours.

I have tried a reset, but still nothing.

I get the power light (1), then a flashing and eventually solid 3G light (2) and then light 4 continues to flash. Then all the lights go out (including the power light) and then they come back on and repeat this process. This has been going on for about 4 days now. I have NO mobile phone signal!

Following my reset, it did something I'd not seen before where light 2 came on, then lights 1&3 and then lights 1, 2 & 3 and it did this for about 3 minutes and then  went back to the pattern I initiallu described.

My Speed is 6.81Mbps

My Ping is 42

My IP address is 195.171.34.9

My SS serial Number is 21224722005

My traceroute info is as follows:

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 5 ms 1 ms 1 ms api.home [192.168.1.254]
2 595 ms 678 ms 681 ms esr17.kingston6.broadband.bt.net [217.47.159.140
]
3 757 ms 740 ms 767 ms 217.47.159.13
4 992 ms 1038 ms 1090 ms 213.1.69.50
5 1161 ms 1218 ms 1268 ms 213.120.178.69
6 1948 ms 1384 ms 1457 ms 217.41.168.109
7 1479 ms 1529 ms 1563 ms acc2-10GigE-0-1-0-6.l-far.21cn-ipp.bt.net [109.1
59.249.210]
8 1619 ms 1626 ms 1679 ms core4-te0-19-0-21.faraday.ukcore.bt.net [109.159
.249.167]
9 1681 ms 1731 ms 1740 ms 62.6.201.187
10 1851 ms 750 ms 23 ms lndgw2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]
11 16 ms 16 ms 16 ms 85.205.0.86
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

HELP!!!!!!!

Am I posting in the wrong place??????
It has been over 60 hours since my post and I have had nothing from the Tech Team.
My SS is still not working. It is still doing the same thing with the lights.
I spoke briefly to someone at VF yesterday who gave me some advice, none of which worked.

HELP!!!!!

HELLLLLOOOOOOOO IS THERE ANYBODY THERE??????????????

I went to my neighbour's house, armed with my SS. I plugged it into his 'internet based stuff' and guess what? It worked!!!!!!! Brought it home to my house, plugged it in and it's doing the 1,2,4 lights thing.

At least I know it's not broken.

I have a new ethernet cable too now.....

Any ideas?

Maybe the Vodafone Tech Team have been overrun by Zombies?............ It is now almost 80 hours since my first post..........

Should I round up a search party?

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @HenryDavey

As this worked fine on another connection, we now know the Sure Signal isn’t at fault.

Please check the following:

Check that your Sure Signal has been assigned an internal IP address by your router.

The Sure Signal must be assigned an internal IP address by your router. If your router supports DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), this must be enabled as doing so will enable the router to assign an IP address to your Sure Signal automatically.

For more instructions on how to do this, please check your router manual or contact your ISP or router manufacturer.

If your router or network configuration doesn’t allow DHCP, you’ll need to assign a static IP address to your Sure Signal's MAC Address by using your router's configuration panel. Please contact your ISP or router manufacturer for instructions on how to do this. The MAC address can be found on the sticker at the back of the Sure Signal.

Manually configure your router to allow port-forwarding.
In most cases, routers support a system called Universal Plug-n-Play (UPnP), which sets up port-forwarding for you automatically. If you’ve got a complicated network setup, or a complex router, you may need to enter these settings manually.

Please see the following for a list of IP addresses and port numbers that need to be forwarded to your Sure Signal's internal IP address. For instructions on how to do this, we recommend you contact your ISP or Router Manufacturer, or refer to the default guide for your particular make and model, over at http://portforward.com.

Destination IP Addresses:

• 183.131.128/26

Ports and Protocols:

• 8 – TCP/UDP                 (All routers)
  • 50 – TCP/UDP               (All routers)
  • 53 – TCP/UDP               (Virgin Super Hubs)
  • 67 – UDP                      (Virgin Super Hubs)                                                    
  • 68 – UDP                      (Virgin Super Hubs)                                        
  • 123 – UDP                    (All routers)     
  • 500 – UDP                    (All routers)     
  • 1723 – TCP/UDP           (BT Home Hubs)          
  • 4500 – UDP                   (All routers)     
  • 33434 – 33445 – UDP    (Virgin Super Hubs)

Please note that in the above list of IP addresses, the notation "212.183.131.128/26" means the complete range of IP addresses between 212.183.131.128 and 212.183.131.191

Your router also needs to assign the Sure Signal with a DNS (Domain Name Server) address via DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol).

BT Infinity Customers.

If you’re a BT Infinity customer, you’ll need to log into your router admin page and select port clamping.

Once this has been selected please restart your router and Sure Signal.

Thanks,

Jenny

Jenny, with all due respect, you may well have drawn me a picture of a cat or sent me a link to some nice music.

In my work, you have to aim you level of communication at your audience. I know ignorance is no defence, but I have no idea what I am supposed to do, and BT were less than helpful when I asked them about port fowarding, etc.

Last Thursday, my SS was working perfectly well (and has done for 2+ years). Then it stopped working. I did not have a power cut, nothing was turned off, it just stopped working.

It seems to make a 3G connection and then it turns itself off totally. It HAS been assigned its own IP address (that much I can work out), but after that, I am lost... 

I have not changed any of the setting on my router.....

I will continue to mess around with it until I get a reply, hopefully it won't be so long this time....

Regards,   

Henry

May I apologise if my last comment came across as rude.....

My frustration come from the fact that I have not changed ANY of my settings to either my SS or my Home Hub 2.0 and yet my SS has decided to stop working.

It works at my neighbour's house (he has fibre optic broadband). I have 'normal' broadband with a download speed of 5.91 and an upload speed of 0.38mbps. I'm pretty sure it's always been like this (or there abouts).

It's well and good if you understand about 'port fowarding' and the like, but what I'd really like is to have a mobile signal in my house. I'm not isolated from society, I live in a 'dip' that is a mobile phone blackspot, 3 miles from a large town.

It appears that I am not the only one who suffers from this problem if the Forum is anything to go by.

Regards,

Henry