Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure signal problems

neillb
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi all.

read through this forum, and can't sem to find the problem I have.

After a few minutes of plugging the VSS in, thr red power light flashes, the service light & the user liight are static orange. 

I have a Netgear DGDN3700 router, which reading on here seems to have some issues.  Any help appreciated

cheers. 

Neill

19 REPLIES 19

Ok, that's all done.  MTU max value is 1492. Ethernet lights flash at both ends of the cable.  Still doesn't seem to want to connect.

neill

Ip is now 87.115.146.130

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi neillb,

Thanks for the updates here.

Can you confirm who your ISP is?

Also when you log into your router admin panel do you have an option called port clamping?

If yes, please can you select this option and restart your Sure Signal and router?

James

ISP is Plusnet

can't see port clamping, only forwarding & triggering

neill

Retired-PaulE
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi neilb, 

The light sequence you're seeing indicates that your unit is not active because the location check has failed.

Can you please verify the location is correct to which the VSS is registered. If the location is correct and the symptoms continue, are you able to test the unit on another broadband connection? 

I've a feeling that it could be down to your IP address too - has it remained static after you made the change as this behviour can be triggered by Dynamic IPs

Paul

Hi, 

postcode is registered correctly.

are you saying that I need. Static IP address from my ISP, as well as assigning and internal one to thr VSS?

Neill

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi neillb,

You won’t need a static IP from you ISP it is only the Sure Signal that will need to be given a static IP on your local home network.

I think that there has been a little bit of confusion here as the light sequence actually indicates that it has been unable to authenticate on the Vodafone network.

Firstly can you confirm that the port forwarding has been set up and is showing correctly according to this guide?

Also, to rule out the possibility of a faulty Sure Signal device, are you able to try the Sure Signal on a different internet connection?

James

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

PlusNet also have a firewall on the ADSL connection itself (well business lines do anyway)

If you log into your plusnet account on their site, and go to My Account -> Connection Settings, check that the BroadBand Firewall option is set to OFF and try resetting the SS to get it to connect again. It may be failing to fully complete the VPN link back to VF.

Broadband firewall is off. 

unable to test the unit elsewhere for a while. Can't understand while this is so difficult to set up. 

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi neillb

Thanks for this. Now that the firewall is off and it still isn’t working, we will need you to try the Sure Signal on an alternative connection. It may be that the device is faulty, but we won’t know until you have been able to test it elsewhere.

Thanks

Wayne