Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure signal using Bundle Allowance

jeffjjack
2: Seeker

I have just found out that my sure signal uses my data allowance when on 3G at home.... How can this be?... without the sure signal I have no signal in the house and therefore got the sure signal. Due to having an iphone I do not turn the wifi on and off and simply us the 3G for browsing the internet  thinking that it was the same as being on wifi.....

After searching the forum I found this.....

Quoted from another post

It's both 'cheaper' and more efficient to use wifi at home for data if you can to bypass the VF component entirely ..."

So the question being.... If without the sure signal I cannot get any vodaphone signal..... and only browsing the internet...why does this use my 3G allowance?. Once on the internet I am not traversing any vodaphone network to get to its ultimate destination... surley I am using the broadband service that I am already paying for!

Cheers

Jeff

14 REPLIES 14

JohnA
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Your broadband link is only used to provide a connection between the Sure Signal and Vodafone's core network. Any external connectivity to the internet is provided by Vodafone so any data you send/receive goes through Vodafone.

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)

There are 2 ways your iPhone can get to the internet at home

One is that it connects using WiFi to your home network, which then talks to the internet... This will be free as it is using your internet link.

The other is that it connects to the SureSignal using 3G, the suresignal passes your internet request down the secure connection to the VF network, which then puts your request onto the main vodafone network, which then goes out to the internet... This will use your data allowance due to it not using your home network, it it's point of contact is the suresignal, and thus it is a 3G connection to be accounted for.

So in short, connect your iPhone to your home wifi, and it will use it.

The suresignal box is just a local VF mast in your front room.

jeffjjack
This I can understand but essentially I am using the Internet network and not using the mobile network. The mobile network is what I believed I was paying for. Essentially in using the sure signal I am paying for the data twice!
As I understand it I maybe using a small amount of processing power as my connection is routed via Vodafone but the mobile network is not used.
Mobile 3G network is not used and therefore should not deducted from my allowance.
Am I right in thinking that in normal circumstances is also costs to have the sure signal on a contract?

grolschuk

There is no cost for having the suresignal in place, other than the initial outlay to purchase it.

At what point is your network being used to transfer the data?

Phone 3g <-> Suresignal <-> Vodafone (via encrypted tunnel) <-> Vodafone data network <-> Internet

Rather than

Phone wifi <-> Router <-> Internet

If your phone could talk to your home network using 3g then your point would stand, but as it cannot, it talks to vodafone and their data network, and thus is billed.

The suresignal is just a closer range mobile network providing device, rather than the long range ones that you cannot get a signal from.

How would you use your internet connection at home for your phone if you did not have the suresignal?

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

@jeffjjack wrote:
This I can understand but essentially I am using the Internet network and not using the mobile network.

Or to put it simply - a Sure Signal IS using the mobile network. You are using your own broadband to create a connection to Vodafone. Thereafter Vodafone routes the traffic.

The way to avoid Vodafone is to use Wi Fi. A Sure Signal is not Wi Fi - it's Vodafone!!

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

jeffjjack
Phone 3g <-> Suresignal <-> router<-> internet network that i already pay for<->Vodafone (via encrypted tunnel) <-> Vodafone data network (basically software switch not using any masts)-> Internet

The point I am making is that paying for 3G is for the mobile network, masts and network cabling Vodafone have had to install and maintain in order to provide a network signal.

I pay my ISP for there network and services, Vodafone (IMHO) "piggyback" on the back of this service and try charge me for the privilege.

I understand that I will not change this. I
just shocked that I have used much data my contract that could have potentially cos me a lot of money. I have disconnected the sure signal and will de-register and sell on.

I have been with vodafone for many years and nearly changed provider at the beginning of this contract since moving to the current area. The sure signal was the solution to stay with Vodafone. I will find alternative (stronger) mobile services in my area in the future.

grolschuk

That is indeed the case, it is piggybacking on your internet connection back to the vodafone data network, rather than the mast using national infrastructure to get back to the vodafone data network.

Once connected to the vodafone data network (either Mast or Suresignal) the system does not care... you are using mobile data, through the mobile network, over the 3G interface of your handset...

The main use for the SureSignal is to provide a mobile network presence somewhere that the standard masts do not reach to, and act as the rest of the network does...

Most of the time this is to provide a strong and usable voice connection as almost every other person using one would use the wifi on their network for data as a) it will be quicker, and b) not use their data allowance.

If you sell the suresignal, invest in a wireless access point for your network, as it will save you a lot of data useage costs on your handset.

jeffjjack
So you are paying for data usage twice. You pay for the sure signal to make up for the lack of network ( the network that your paying for as part of the contract), you then pay for Vodafone to use your ISP ( which you already pay for) . Lol I have problems paying for things once.... Twice takes the biscuit!

I have wireless but as I said earlier I have an iPhone and all those who have one will know there's no quick way of turning wifi on and off, so I left it off ( to save battery during the day at work) thinking that the 3G sure signal connection was just like wifi.... Doh!

Never saw any of this in the sale bunf when looking into getting a sure signal nor was I told this when advised to get one when they wanted me to stay with them at the end of the last contract. Should I have expected to though? Hmm! Think not!

jeffkinn

No you are not paying twice. You are already paying for your broadband. Using a Sure Signal incurs no extra broadband cost.

Also all the literature about the Sure Signal makes it abundantly clear that a Sure Signal boost a 3G signal. By definition 3G uses the Vodafone network and will incur charges. 

Jeffkinn_Sig.png