Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure signal v1 misbehaving

FloozW
4: Newbie
I'm totally confused with my SS. After having it turned off for 12 days whilst I was on holiday, it will now only pick up my phone (iPhone 5) if I'm standing next to it! The correct lights are on, it's correctly registered, I've done all the reset stuff, but still it's not connecting to my phone.

It's not been moved or anything, and no settings have been changed on my phone. I don't understand what the problem could be. Has anyone any ideas?
8 REPLIES 8

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion
Hi

Hello.

Please take a look through these Sure Signal Trouble Shooting threads :

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Vodafone-Sure-Signal-troubleshooting/td-p/23917...

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Troubleshooting-Please-read-before-posting/td-p/...

as these may help to resolve issues. They have links to the key things you can do to try and self resolve the issue you are experiencing.

It may also be worth trying a different power supply with the SureSignal (Version 1 & 2 ), as there have been some reports of replacement power supplies solving the issues. They are available on eBay for around £10.

FAQs : https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Network-and-coverage/Sure-Signal/

To note the Sure Signal Device comes with a 24 month warranty.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

ChazzD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@FloozW

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Sorry for delay in responding, other things to deal with. 

OK, my speed test results are; download 1.45 mbps, upload 0.26 mbps (I live in a rural location, and have never had the best broadband speed, it has always been around this figure). 

My ping results gave me 0% packet loss, 59ms ping, and 7ms jitter, resulting in a B grade.  (forgive me, I'm just typing the results that come up on the screen, as I don't understand this stuff). 

My IP is 86.137.231.75

The traceroute gave me:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Flooz>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to 212.183.133.177 over a maximum of 30 hops

1     1 ms     1 ms     3 ms  BThomehub.home [192.168.1.254]
  2    45 ms    46 ms    46 ms  217.41.167.186
  3    47 ms    45 ms    45 ms  217.47.19.161
  4    53 ms    46 ms    45 ms  213.1.69.118
  5    45 ms    46 ms    45 ms  217.41.169.102
  6    47 ms    46 ms    46 ms  213.120.180.165
  7    47 ms    49 ms    46 ms  213.120.179.81
  8    45 ms    45 ms    45 ms  acc1-xe-0-1-2.sf.21cn-ipp.bt.net [109.159.251.81
]
  9    51 ms    51 ms    51 ms  core1-te0-0-0-7.ealing.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.25
1.31]
 10    55 ms    55 ms    54 ms  peer1-xe2-0-0.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.2
54.100]
 11    56 ms    55 ms    55 ms  lndgw2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]
 12    54 ms    53 ms    55 ms  85.205.0.93
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Flooz>

and finally, my SS serial number is :21224324398

Thanks for your help. 

ChazzD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@FloozW

Thanks for getting back to us with these results.

Both your download and upload speeds are quite a lot below the minimum speeds we'd expect to see for the Sure Signal to run at it's full capacity, so this could be having a knock on effect. 

I've checked both your serial number and IP address and both of these seem fine. 

Please try connecting your Sure Signal in another location, such as a friend or family member's house. You'll need to leave it connected for at least 24 hours.

We'll then be able to determine if the problems are specific to your location and router or the Sure Signal itself

Thanks ChazzD, I'm not able to plug my SS in anywhere else - I live 250 miles from my friends and family.  😞 

I've always had a very poor broadband speed, I guess dear old BT are waiting patiently for me to upgrade to fibre optic, instead of improving what we have 😉 

I don't understand why the SS would pick up my phone when I'm standing near it (regardless of BB speed), but won't if I'm elsewhere in the house, especially as this is only a recent problem.  :-s

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@FloozW

It does sound like you have a faulty Sure Signal.

As you have version one it'll no longer be under warranty. I'd recommend buying a new one here.

Thanks Sukhi.  That's not what I was hoping to hear.  I'm out of contract now, and am loath to renew AND have to buy a new piece of kit, just to get a signal, particularly if the kit doesn't last longer than a few years.  Oh well, that's life I guess. 

FloozW
4: Newbie
Thank you both, I have tried replacement cables (power and Ethernet), to no avail. I'll go through the troubleshooting thread, and report back once done.