Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure signal v1 not working with apple TC

smy1990
2: Seeker

Hi my Sure Signal  box (Sagem Femto) was registered yesterday at 16:00 and I still have no signal it's connected to an apple Time Capsule which in turn is connected to a BT fibre broadband wall connection.

only showing one green solid power light, tried a couple of hard resets but to no avail 

Been reading the the sure signal may not be compatible with Apple hardware if this is the case its a poor show as I have a "3" signal booster box  attached to the same setup that works a treat

unfortunately if I can't get this to work only option is going to terminate my remaining Vodafone contracts for the family and move them over to "3"as well 

details below if anyone can help

Download Speed 93.56 Mbps

Upload Speed 16.27 Mbps
Packet loss N/A not installing Java 
Ping 58ms
Jitter 13ms 
Grade B*
IP Address 87.113.0.132
IPV6 Address ::ffff:5771:84

SN 21196944157

1  10.0.1.1 (10.0.1.1)  1.253 ms  0.867 ms  0.663 ms

2  lo0-central10.ptn-ag02.plus.net (195.166.128.191)  15.926 ms  15.996 ms  15.562 ms

3  link-b-central10.ptn-gw02.plus.net (212.159.2.134)  16.991 ms  15.758 ms  15.300 ms

4  xe-1-2-0.ptw-cr02.plus.net (212.159.0.114)  15.663 ms  15.642 ms  15.625 ms

5  ae2.ptw-cr01.plus.net (195.166.129.4)  34.897 ms

ae1.pcl-cr02.plus.net (195.166.129.3)  16.087 ms

ae2.ptw-cr01.plus.net (195.166.129.4)  15.514 ms

6  ae1.pcl-cr01.plus.net (195.166.129.1)  15.475 ms

te-4-2.car5.london1.level3.net (217.163.45.249)  38.572 ms

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sure Signal works fine with FTTC/Fibre/BT Infinity. I've had mine working fine with FTTC through a Draytek router, until I moved to using an Airport Extreme.

The problem here, as I've discovered, is that the SS (mine is V1) simply won't work with Apple routers. I suspect this is because Apple routers don't support UPnP, but there could be other reasons as well.

In short, the SS (V1 certainly) is a seriously iffy bit of kit, and unless you absolutely satisfy it's requirements to the nth degree, you simply won't get it to work.

The quickest solution to this, if you have an Apple router, is to go and get yourself a cheap, basic, fixed-wire only PPPoE router that supports UPnP and use this for your connection. Connect your Apple router to this, then put your Apple router into bridge mode and just use it for your WiFi (and the switch ports on the back, if required).

View solution in original position

12 REPLIES 12

smy1990

Well still no signal spent hr on phone to VF this morning, they said that that would apply a over the air software update to my box, told me to wait a couple of hrs, do a hard reset and everything would be working fine 

Guess what -------- in true VF fashion done everything requested and still no signal 

When I got my "3" sigal booster I just plugged it in waited an hr and Bingo full 3G signal - naive to think VF would be that simple. reminds  me why I've taken 3 contracts away from them and only have my sons to go. Maybe need to just pay of the:smileyfrustrated: contract and cut my losses 

Retired-Ian_
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi smy1990,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I can see that the resync was successful, however the Sure Signal hasn't contacted our servers since the end of February.

You've mentioned Apple TC. 

It might be worth checking this thread for further help.

Thanks.

Ian

Hi Ian
Thanks for the reply, so if i understand this correctly I need another modem.
as I have fibre BB that means replacing the BT open reach modem as that's the thing that's selecting PPPoE Not the TC.

Do the v2 and v3 of the sure signal also use PPPoA

Not sure wether it's the apple hardware you don't support or the BT hardware

Thing the cheapest option is going to be to pay up the contract and move to "3" as their signal booster works flawlessly with my set up

Just found this from my ISP l looks like it's nothing to do with the apple hardware and more to to with the fact vodafone SS V1 is incompatible with fibre BB - !!!

"You'll need the settings below if you're connecting to our fibre broadband service with your own fibre-compatible router. To connect with a fibre router we've supplied please follow our install guide.

Note: the majority of broadband routers won't work with fibre broadband. Most cable routers will work if they can use PPPoE and have an Ethernet WAN port, however we can't provide support if you have problems."

Connection Settings
Broadband Username/Login name username@plusdsl.net
Connection Type / Encapsulation PPPoE Always On

Hi smy1990.

It seems as though your provider is referring to an alternative router rather than the Sure Signal device.

I'd recommend trying your Sure Signal in another location, this will help rule out any hardware fault.

Thanks,

Matt B

Hi Matt
thanks for the reply I'll try in another location
But it's my ISP and BT Infinity BB that's wanting the PPPoE protocol what ever the router, if my understanding is correct And the SS that's using incompatible PPPoA
So I try the SS at any of my neighbours ( who are also using fibre )then I'm going to get the same result as Fibre needs the PPPoE protocol - happy to be corrected if I've misunderstood what I've read,.

Hi smy1990,

I've successfully used a Sure Signal with a fibre connection and they can work. 

Trying the connection in a different location will help rule out any hardware fault with the Sure Signal.

Let me know the results :Smiling:

Thanks,

Matt B

Cheers Matt
Will do - btw do all versions of the Sure Signal use PPPoA or just version 1

Retired-Ian_
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi smy1990,

All versions of Sure Signal use PPPoA.

Thanks.

Ian