Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure signal version 3 is unable to detect half duplex correctly

cuthbeidatacard
4: Newbie

Hi,

I have just done some testing with the Sure Signal version 3 connected to a dual speed hub and can confirm it is not correctly negotiating half duplex and / or 100Mbps. It appears to come up, but nothing on the hub is seen from that mac address (wireshark shows). I was trying to dump the traffic to disgnose another issue. It appears it assumes full duplex or detects the speed wrong.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi cuthbeidatacard,

Can I have more details on the service provider and hub model?

Can you also post details about your traceroute, serial number, IP address and speedtest results using the Sure Signal Troubleshooting guide so we can examine this in detail?

Cheers, Ben

Hi Ben,

It is a NetGear dual speed 10/100Mbps hub, I'm not sure of the exact model, but can check if needed. The provider doesn't make any difference, as it doesn't even get an IP address on the LAN due to the duplex mismatch. It can't even send a DHCP discover packet.

My speed test results etc are in my other posts, although they also won't make any difference, as it doesn't get an IP.

Thanks

Eact model of Netgear is DS108

Hi cuthbiedatacard,

Can I just check if this is related directly to the specific issues with your Sure Signal set up mentioned here, or did you just find this whilst testing and wanted to report it?

We'll be happy to flag this back to our technical teams, but if it's linked to the other thread we'll merge the two so it's all in one place.

Dave

Hi,

It is not related. I only found it because I was trying to dump all my traffic to help with the other issue. Thanks for reporting.

Hi.

I wish I had found this post before duplicating exactly the same testing.  I thought I would comment though just in case.

I also tested with a netgear DS108, but also with a Dlink DE-809TC.  I personally observed that the speed lights on the Hub, and on the SS did match (ie the 100mbps link light was lit on the DS108 and on the SS, and the on the Dlink (10mbps only) the link light showed, whilst the SS speed light was off).

Packet captures showed the same thing, no DHCP/BOOTP packets onbserved on the network.  The activity light on the SS did flash; but the activity light on the hub did not.  Several cables were tested.

So I agree with the original poster; there is some problem with the autonegotiation and although the link appears established no traffic is recieved by the network from the SS.

Regards

Martin

Retired-Ian_
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi bigfish,

Thanks for your input on this.

Ian