Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure signal with BT Home Hub 4 help needed

fishcallededdie
4: Newbie

Hi forum

My in-laws have a SureSignal (version 1 I think, tall with 4 lights) which was working fine until they 'upgraded' their internet to BT. They have a BT Home Hub 4 and the Sure Signal has stopped working.

I've read everything I can find and have setup the ports on the Home Hub to forward to the Sure Signal.

The ports still seem to be closed however (using a remote port checker) and the Sure Signal is only showing the top light (solid).

I have done the reset procedure.

The serial number of the Sure Signal is 21197153527

To make it more difficult, although my in-laws are still with Vodafone, I am not and my Vodafone web portal has been closed down (well, I can't log into it). I was the admin for this SureSignal so now I have no means of administering it from the dashboard.

Can anyone help? Please and thank you.

James

12 REPLIES 12

Retired-Ian_
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @fishcallededdie 

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks,

Ian

Dear Ian. Thanks for your reply. I have as mentioned already read and tried everything in the Troubleshooting threads.

I can't return to the location of the SureSignal until Saturday, when there will be no Vodafone tech support available 😞

I can confirm that the SureSignal is registered on the BT HomeHub router so we know that it has a LAN connection. I've also setup the port forwarding as per the instructions. Everything worked fine until they switched to BT Home Hub. However I suspect that the problem many now be compounded by the fact that I have closed my Vodafone phone account and I was the only admin - so I have no way of logging in to 'My Sure Signal' to check it.

Please can you start by checking to see whether the SureSignal is still registered to us or whether it has been disconnected due to my phone account being closed?

The serial number of the Sure Signal is 21197153527

Thanks

Ian are you able to check whether the Sure Signal is even still registered to me, as asked in previous message?

Thank you

Hi @fishcallededdie,

So that we can look into this further please have a chat with our Live help team.

Thanks,

Matt B

Live chat always says 'back later' so that was a non-starter.

I finally managed to speak to someone helpful this week but I needed to be at the location of the SureSignal, which can only happen at weekends so I tried ringing again on Saturday. My experience was poor, to say the least.

After waiting 20 minutes for the call to be answered at all, I then had to wait again to be put through to second level support. After explaining the problem a second time, it turned out that I was still in the wrong department and had to be transferred to Sure Signal support (amazingly enough). The bloke who answered the phone invented a near-impossible security system for me to work through because my name was not on the account of a number registered to the Sure Signal. He wanted to speak to the 'account holder' but was unable to tell me the name of the account holder for security reasons, so we had to play a game of passing the phone around various members of the family until we hit on someone who he would talk to, who would then look to me for the answers to his questions. This took 15 minutes and was in any event completely unecessary because my queries were technical and related only to the SureSignal - nothing about any individual phones or accounts.

But here's the best bit. After eventually passing through 'security' he then put me back on hold and transferred me back to the main incoming call queue which was eventually answered by someone called Sarah who was then cut off as soon as she started talking to me. This charade took 50 minutes.

It looks like it is impossible to get their SureSignal working.

I have Home Hub 4, and whilst I have done the port forwarding bit, it worked without any of that with my two Sure Signals. I suspect the issue is the SS. And not the hub. My only fix when I had issues was take it elsewhere, preferably to the next door neighbour or somewhere in the same post code, plug into their router, leave it an hour to make the handshake and then take it home. Unconventional, but worked numerous times.

Good luck
Regards

RDC

Galaxy S3, Blackberry Bold & Vodafone Sure Signal since Aug 09

thanks - I will try that. It seems strange however that it worked 100% until they switched to BT.

No reply from Vodafone to the above, I see.

Hi @fishcallededdie 

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks,

Laura

Dear Laura

Thank you for your reply

As you will see from the opening message in this thread, I have been through all this stuff before and tried every troubleshooting step I can find.

The only day I can get to look at this SureSignal is a weekend and it seems impossible to contact anyone on Saturday or Sunday who has any knowledge or who doesn't cut me off after long delays.

The serial number is 21197153527, please can you have a look at your own logs and see if there have been any succesful connection attempts since August.

Thank you