Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

SureSignal 1 flashing but not working - possible fix

Landshark2007
6: Helper
6: Helper
If you have a VSS 1 and it has worked without issue for a number of years, and then suddenly starts flashing for no reason, then read on.

Last weekend my VSS 1 started to flash a continuous loop of LEDs that had the power LED steady, and then 2 would flash steadily before 4 flashed at twice the speed of 2, then all would flash briefly before starting all over again. You may have the same problem or similar, but the thing to watch for is a repeating pattern with the Power LED steady. The only other LED combination that may work is when the Power LED stabilises and the all others come on and stay on.

This points to a Power Supply problem (the little black brick that you plug into your socket). I did not believe it at first, but it is the fix. You need to replace the PSU a (I got mine for £2.50) and your problems will go away. If you want to know more, read on.

During the power-up/sync process, the SureSignal becomes very power hungry and the current drawn from the PSU a may rise to around 1.1a to 1.2a for a prolonged period. After a number of years (these units will now be around 4 years old) the power supplies simply give up. Some go short and will not power up at all, others will go lazy and not deliver the full current required. The replacement PSU needs to be 12 volt and 1.5 amp output minimum. It uses a 2.5mm female plug to put into the unit itself. You can get power supplies that are rated with a higher current output, but it cannot be below 1.5 amp (1500mA).

If you have been playing around with the VSS trying to figure out the problem, you may need to do a proper reset to bring it up to stability, but in my case I did not. In any case, this is a much cheaper solution than paying out for a new VSS (the route that Vodafone will probably ask you to do).
Wherever I lay my '@', that's my 'ome.
21 REPLIES 21

Rajjyboy
4: Newbie

Hi Landshark

Exactly the problem I am having with a box that is around 4 years old!

Where did you get your power adpter from?

Thanks

Raj

Hi @Landshark2007 and @Rajjyboy 

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks,

Laura

Laura

Thanks for your reply. However, this is the "stock" reply nearly all Vodafone tech experts provide.  I have looked at the trouble shooting guide, spoke with the Tech department and done all the speed tests etc.  They even provided me with details to set up the port forwarding which I have done but still nothing.

If you look at most threads of this nature you will see that the Voda tech experts provide the same reply as you have done.  Most people having issues will have already gone through the processes in the trouble shooting guide and mentioned in similar forums as this.

In my experience the so called tech experts have been no use at all and suggest things like "try a new ethernet cable" or a different router with another ISP.  Apart form the ethernet cable do you think most people have these items readily available?

All we get from Vodafone experts is the same stock reply and usual suggestions of resetting, new ethernet cable etc.  Most people will have done all these things already.

In fact, better suggestions are usually provided by posters who have resolved the issues themsleves!

Got mine of a famous auction site for £2.95 and free delivery. Just make sure you specify a 12 volt, 1500mA output that ends with a 2.5mm femal plug. Usually found on CCTV Csmera feeds.
Wherever I lay my '@', that's my 'ome.

worked up and running in 2 minutes, after many wasted days of trying troubleshooting guide.............................. 

Same problem - fixed after messing around with technical phone calls - they wanted to change settings & so on & on -

but changed PSU - sorted within an hour - after over a week.

Surely Vodafone tech should know about this - seems a common problem - mine had 12v DC from it but 100v AC falshing up & down !

Rajjyboy
4: Newbie
Cheers.

Ordered one for £6.50 delivered. States for cctv cameras and led strip lights so hopefully will do the trick.

Fingers crossed!! Lol

Thanks again.

Well, PSU arrived today. Was very sceptical about this remedy to get my SS1 working again.

Plugged in and full signal on my iPhone 5s within 5 minutes!!

If anybody has a SS1 and it has just stopped working go and get a PSU that is 12v and at least 1.5 amp with a 2.5mm female jack. Very likely your SS1 will spring back to life.

Thanks everybody!

I had the same issues and have just purchased a replacement PSU. Success my Sue Signal 1 has come back to life. The only question I have is that the replacement PSU I have sourced has a 2.0amp output rather than 1.5amp output.  Is this likely to cuase an issue in the longer term?