Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

SureSignal 1 flashing but not working - possible fix

Landshark2007
6: Helper
6: Helper
If you have a VSS 1 and it has worked without issue for a number of years, and then suddenly starts flashing for no reason, then read on.

Last weekend my VSS 1 started to flash a continuous loop of LEDs that had the power LED steady, and then 2 would flash steadily before 4 flashed at twice the speed of 2, then all would flash briefly before starting all over again. You may have the same problem or similar, but the thing to watch for is a repeating pattern with the Power LED steady. The only other LED combination that may work is when the Power LED stabilises and the all others come on and stay on.

This points to a Power Supply problem (the little black brick that you plug into your socket). I did not believe it at first, but it is the fix. You need to replace the PSU a (I got mine for £2.50) and your problems will go away. If you want to know more, read on.

During the power-up/sync process, the SureSignal becomes very power hungry and the current drawn from the PSU a may rise to around 1.1a to 1.2a for a prolonged period. After a number of years (these units will now be around 4 years old) the power supplies simply give up. Some go short and will not power up at all, others will go lazy and not deliver the full current required. The replacement PSU needs to be 12 volt and 1.5 amp output minimum. It uses a 2.5mm female plug to put into the unit itself. You can get power supplies that are rated with a higher current output, but it cannot be below 1.5 amp (1500mA).

If you have been playing around with the VSS trying to figure out the problem, you may need to do a proper reset to bring it up to stability, but in my case I did not. In any case, this is a much cheaper solution than paying out for a new VSS (the route that Vodafone will probably ask you to do).
Wherever I lay my '@', that's my 'ome.
21 REPLIES 21

cineriv
16: Advanced member

Hi RYOUNG

The 2 Amp supply will be fine if not better than the 1.5 amp version and will hopefully last longer because it's running less stressfully.

When running normally, the SS consumes around 1.2 Amps, which only leaves 0.3 of an amp in reserve, which decreases as the power supply ages, hence the problems with older power supplies.

I'm using a 2 Amp supply as well and I'm looking forward to a longer life from the power supply this time. Saying that, 4-5 years of continuous use isn't bad for that type of unit.

Regards,

Mike.

Walczak
3: Seeker
Hi I have had my sure signal for a while and all of a sudden stopped working ... Help ... I rely on this for work and personal phone ... Problem is even though j bought it it's registered to my ex's account which doesn't excist anymore so I can't access the details to add of delete phones and now it doesn't work either!?!?! Again help ....

cineriv

Hi Walczak

What are the lights showing on your SS?

Regards.

Hi @Walczak

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

Sarah

Walczak
Hi Sarah

Speed test result - download 14.47
Upload 1.05
Ping 25ms

External IP 86.179.249.116

Trace route - no results

Sure signal serial - 21197021500

Thanks
Chloe

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @Walczak 

Please provide the results form your traceroute. This can be done by following the steps Sarah provided above.

Thanks,

Sukhi

tkei

This worked for my VSS1 as well. Thanks for taking the time to post this resolution Landshark2007

HI,

Had same issue replacing the PSU got it backup and working OK.

Thanks

Tim

blaze_4976
2: Seeker

After many hours trying to diagnose this issue and being passed from pillar to post between Vodafone and my ISP (although now I have learnt a lot about Port Forwrding!), I changed my PSU and problem solved in 2 minutes !

Thank you Landshark2007 !!

BobbyBear

Thanks so much, Landshark.

I had the same problem with my old Suresignal V1.

After following Vodafone's instructions on this forum for checking network access, opening ports, etc without success I called Vodafone support.  After reassuring them I'd tried everything else, third line Suresignal technical support advised (via the person I was talking to) that my Suresignal was broken and I had to buy a new one, and tried to console me with the fact that the price had been reduced from £100 to £70.

I hadn't got a 12v, 1.5A power supply handy, so I tried running the VSS off a spare 12v sealed lead acid battery.  It has come up working fine!